New
Find
Notify
Tools

Project questions (long)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, time for me to decide on a project gun. I want one that I can use for Highpower Silouhette shooting, and perhaps normal Highpower as well. My preferred chambering is 6.5x55 Swede (yes, I have heard of the 6.5-.284 and others) So, that said, here are the questions:

First: I have a Remington Mod 30 barreled action, with what appears to be a brand new (but short) .308 chambering. I know the .308 has a general rep for accuracy, it just bores me, and with this short barrel, I'm afraid that accuracy/energy may not be enough for dropping Rams at 500 meters. So, does anyone have a preferred method to test fire this rifle? I'd like to see if it has the potential to perform, but a new stock if I decide to not keep this rifle and make it a competition gun would be a waste.

Second: Has anyone built or used this action for accuracy work? I like the trigger as is, and it is a long action, so the other option is to rebarrel it with a long, proper twist barrel for the 6.5x55. Another plus to it for Highpower is that it is already equiped for stripper clip use.

Third choice: I know I can go the ultra-low budget route and build a "Tweed" (Turkish Mauser with Swede Barrel) and I hear they shoot well, but I think the shorter Yugo 48 action may be better for this type of application, though the barrel will cost more. Opinions?

Thanks,
Eric

Posts: 38 | Location: Lake Tahoe, NV | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First go to some matches and see what they are using. For offhand shooting the locktime on a standard M30 would be non competative. Not that the rifle could not be modified but there are better actions for competition.

A member here by the name of djpaintles shoots in such matches. Perhaps he will have a suggestion.

Save the M 30 for another project.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I do shoot already in highpower, and while I understand what you're saying, I am moderately limited by finances. Having researched the various gunmakers, I have found that to get a 6.5x55, with a correct twist (for stabilizing 140+ bullets at those velocities) and a reasonable barrel length (and reasonable pressures) I'm forced to go custom. I have had no luck in finding a used Rem 700 rifle/action around here ($500+ at best for the rifle, to then have to re-barrel, add aperture sights, and re-stock isn't an attractive option)

Eric

Posts: 38 | Location: Lake Tahoe, NV | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Eric,
let's talk.

for Highpower Silouhette shooting, one of the MOST critical items is LOCKTIME... the time it takes from you releasing the sear (via trigger) until the firingpin hits the primer.

THE action for this game is the rem 788, followed by it's cousin the rem 600/660, as the 788 has THE fastest lock time of any mechincal mass produced bolt rifle.

the mausers, springfields and enfields (this includes model 30) simpley have too long a lock time, and adding the springs required to make a HUGE difference is counter productive, as they increase the effort required to cock, and then will require changes to the sear to keep the trigger light enough to be competitive.

I'll email you on the model 30, as it will more than behoove you to sell that action and build from another.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/SearchResults.asp?Tab=0

for a listing of 788s...

becareful of CHEAP ones... they could be MISSING the bolt

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote