THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hagn Small frame, what Chambering & Barrel dimensions would you choose?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hagn Small frame, what Chambering & Barrel dimensions would you choose?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
7x57r,7x65r seem appropriate but what about You?

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'd take my pick of one of three cartridges
- the 7x65-R you mentioned,
- the .375 x 2-1/2" Rimmed,
- or my number one choice, the original rimmed 6.5 Mannlicher

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He said the SMALL frame which according to the photo takes 22-24 cal. Since it takes the rimmed or rimless ,I'd go for the 22-250.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Krag but anything would be nice on one of these actions.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
That thing screams .250 Savage.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
.303 British

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fla3006:
Maybe a Krag but anything would be nice on one of these actions./QUOTE]

How true, in fact one is spoilt for choice.

On the earlier versions which have a 1" thread(new ones 7/8"), Ralf Martini said that you can chamber it in magnum rounds, reciever strength is not a problem, although recoil might be...300H*H anyone? Big Grin
The .270,30-06 would not be a fools choice and would certainly buck more than enough in a 7lb rifle.
The Rimmed rounds have their unique appeal.In particular 7x57 and the .303 british that TEX21 mentions. Although the 7mm would be easier to sell should that have to happen.

Medium & Small.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 275 Rigby would be just fine by me, I could go for 6.5 x 55 to. I think a .250-3000 would be the cats meow.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny this comes up. I placed an order with Martini-Hagn a few months ago for one of their small action rifles!

Basically, the small action can handle the H&H magnum size case, but isn't recommended. Ralf doesn't recommend a light rifle built on the small action chambered for the 30'06 because of recoil, not because of the strength of the action. The action can handle it. They are a true dream to hold and are as graceful as rifle can be made, in my opinion.

While they will handle rimmed cases, and Hagn has chambered quite a few for rimmed cases, the action was designed for rimless cases. The rim will slightly hang up when inserting the cartridge into the rifle, it won't just slid in. A little bump with your thumb and it will chamber just fine, though.

I am hoping to meet with them at the ACGG show in January to firm up the specs on my rifle.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D Phillips,

The reason I like the rimmed is:
- it allows one to hold a couple rounds in between the fingers more positively,
-plus the rim affords a more positive grip when pulling them out of a cartridge belt.

I like as few things as possible slowing me down when using a single shot. However from what you say, the rim may work against me when chambering. I guess 2 out of 3 aint bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see that it would actually "work against you", as long as you load it positively and don't just drop the cartridge into the action. I'm seriously considering my rifle chambered for a rimmed cartridge, the 7x75R VH SE. Still haven't decided 100%, though.

Nothing wrong with that plan, just not as the rifle is designed. I do know that Hagn said he had made many rifles for rimmed cartridges and there is no real problem.

If it is what you want, go for it because it will work!

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
One other thing, I think to do the action justice Wink, you should have one of Ralf's swamped octagon barrels on it with the integral quarter rib, front sling swivel stud and integral front sight base. Add some nice timber and the rifles are just the sweetest handling rifles and have incredible "hang" on the target. Both Martin and Ralf are a lot of fun to put together a project like this.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
DPhillips: I think to do the action justice you should have one of Ralf's swamped octagon barrels on it

Ditto! I'd like a 500/416 on the large action, something sweet like a Krag or 250 on the small. Helluva matched pair. What is their delivery time now? Used not to be too bad.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure the exact delivery time, now. I think they are able to get them out in less than a year, depending on the options and if they already have the actions made.

I've put the deposit down and have an action reserved, but we still have a few details to hammer out together. Hoping to get together at the ACGG show to finalize all the details.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
One other thing, I think to do the action justice Wink, you should have one of Ralf's swamped octagon barrels on it with the integral quarter rib, front sling swivel stud and integral front sight base.......

Ive pondered all that, and handled his wonderful work at ACGG. I drooled over his medium action switch barrel T/D 22/250&308win set up he had there with full integral features on both barrels.

But when I felt the small action it sorta hit the spot with me,so slim elegant,but still very functional.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
But when I felt the small action it sorta hit the spot with me,so slim elegant,but still very functional.

Those small actioned Hagn's have that effect on a person, don't they? When I picked up the 30'06 that Ralf had at the ACGG show a few years ago, I changed my mind from the medium instantly.

<JOHAN>
posted
Woodjack

7x65R

Other tempting rounds are 6,5X57R, 6,5X68R, 7X75R or 300 Flanged

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
240 Weatherby.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
Those small actioned Hagn's have that effect on a person, don't they? When I picked up the 30'06 that Ralf had at the ACGG show a few years ago, I changed my mind from the medium instantly.

Yes they are difficult to ignore if after a small or mediumbore S/S. Its not just the 1/2lb difference in weight, there is a whole change in dynamics/mass of the rifle, compared to the medium. Though on the small below, scope size seems excessive.

In respect to the 30/06,it would be a tolerable chambering for a 7-7 1/4lb rifle.
You could lazily load it to around .308win vel. 165gn/2700,180gn/2600 for satisfying performance on medium game. Then if required, you could charge her up with a good heavily stoked 200gn pill,or HE-180gn Factory load, for more demanding tasks.
Considering that it is not uncommon for 9.3x74r SxS rigs to be about the same weight, a heavily stoked 30/06 would be reasonably bearable if one felt the need to load it that way.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a 25 caliber wildcat of the 303?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one selected a 7x57/65r case for the small reciever, what barrel length/muzzle dia. would you choose?
Some folk seem happy with 22"tubes like on a RugerNo:1, yet Hagn put on about a 26"octagonal tube about .600"across the flats at the muzzle.

As another example, this mini Gibbs 6.5x57r has a 23.5"tube.

From the stack below as a rough guide,which length takes your fancy..and what muzzle dia would you settle on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
640mm 1/2 octagon 1/2 round barrel. 14mm muzzle diameter.
At least they’re the dimensions on my “in progress†7x65R.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stu,

14mm@640= about .550"@25.1" fair wack lighter than a Hagn tube.
I trust you have an RV blank awaiting that metal?

Ive mod. a Dak10 photo to show bit of variation with shorter barrel& lower scope, sorta looks cute.

Heres very roughly figured& modified Gibbs photo to show some rib/mount options. The zeiss6x32 has same tube length as Leupold 2.5-8x,so just imagine it in its place. I used to have a zeiss like that, but found myself prefering the Leup.
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got no need for such short barrels on falling block actions and barrels with no front sight look naked. So your picture has two strikes against it for me. What decisions have you made so far?

RV blank is ready and waiting, but it doesn’t look like wood will be meeting metal until at least late next year.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu,

I know what you mean about shorter barrels on FBactions,but I did recently view the Gatti SSAA/ILA RugerNo:1,7x57(1996). Its a neat little rig that uses the original 22" barrel,But like you I think I prefer something longer. Its funny how you can like someone elses rig, but find it hard to decide on ones own.
Its easy to get carried away when you see a well featured rifle like a full house Hagn,I have great appreciation of it all. These days though I like to keep thing more simplistic leaning toward understated minimalism, so that means having only the more essentials.
So, octgnl.tubes,full ribs,open sights,QDrings are out.I am happy to appreciate and admire someone elses featured rifle, but hunt with a more simple stick. I may make some allowance for a small rib like in Gibbs photo2, but some would say it a waste of time/money if sights are not planned. If the front ringbase/forendscrewblock end up being made integral(directly below/above each other)it may not cost all that much more to have the short rib,will see. If it blows out$, the ribs out.
A trim Sweat on barrelband will suffice. Not fussed on the Dak10 ones above, maybe something flat or more gently curved.
Your mind can run up and down calibres and cartridges for ever, But I think a small light FBrig should stop about 7mmbore. after that its Bolt action 9.3&.404.