New
Find
Notify
Tools

Match Grade Arms, Kerry O'Dea
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone know anything about this custom smith out of texas?

what is the reputation of his product. with reference to mtn. hunting rifles.

cold zero [Cool]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CZ,
let's talk offline.. i may only know the few bad stories about him, but I am not impressed, and frankly, a model 7 with a light stock will get you the same thing for 1/4 the cost

200 bucks to "work up a load" and a box of 20 rounds, as a list price, and a friend who did this, and the "load" (what a load) would NOT fit in the magizine of his browning rifle. Now, the abolt is known for short length mags, but for 200 bucks, I'ld expect the guy to TRY them

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No rifles built and I only have one experience with them. I had them drill out the rear sight screws on a Ruger M77 Mannlicher that I picked up. Someone had removed the rear sight, installed the screws and smoothed them round. The gun came back with the replacement rear site I furnished installed. One screw had bottomed out in the barrel long before it touched the sight, the other just touched the sight before bottoming. I fixed it, last job he does for me. If you want a lightweight I would look into Rifles Inc.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
cold zero

First off let me say that I have only seen one MGA and three or four Rifles Inc. guns.
So my experience is very limited.
The MGA was not the best machine work I have ever seen, and to top it all off the way they went about cutting the flats in the action made the rear bridge look off center.
The guy that owns this rifle is pleased with it and says it shoots well.
The fit and finish of the Rifles Inc. guns were much better. Looks like the metal was melted off, very clean.
I will say that I do not know anyone with a Rifles Inc rifle but the general consensus is that they are shooters.
There is also NULA that you might want to check out.
Good Luck and God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote