New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking Front Sight Height
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am installing a NEGC materpiece rear and ramp front sight.When I use my laser boresight the laser is higher than where the sight is pointing.Do I need a higher front bead or lower front bead to get it closer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You need which ever front sight bead will place both front and rear sights about the same height above the center of the bore, with the rear sight in mid position. That's the direction you need to go for starters. Then take the gun to the range with your pet load and a file and begin fine tuning the sights.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac's advice is sound...but if you get into 458's, better ,make the rear sight too high...Those bullets drop like a rock at 100 yds...about two feet!

The drop becomes less as the velocity goes up and bullet weight goes down....duh!...

Marble's tables have done all the trig for you...I typically fire two shots...maybe a third if in doubt...measure how far you're off, consult the Marbles tables...back at the shop, make the required adjustments and you will be RIGHT ON! ...batting 1000 so far!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a rule of thumb, always move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington actions are typically rough out of the factory. Smoothness is achieved by use or having the action "blueprinted" by a gunsmith. Interim improvement is effected by application of bolt grease, typically in a plastic syringe, to the back side of the bolt lugs. A small dab is sufficient. Once lubed, repeated cycling will gradually help. You cannot wear the bolt to excess.Some USMC sniper rifles are beyond 40 years, with new barrels installed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would skip the laser bore sighter and take it to the range if you have a range where you can set up a large target. A 4'X 8' plastic election sign would be about right. Turn it on end at 100 yards and fire a 3 shot group at a center bulls eye with a 6 o'clock hold. Measure from your POA to where the groups center is and do the math for your new bead.
Based on sighting in a lot of 45 caliber rifles
I have found they usually point the bore (line of sight looking though the bore) 2 to 3 feet higher than the point of aim of the sights.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote