Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage to 6.5 Creedmore ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
I have a nice old Savage 1920 in 250 with a decent chamber but pretty poor bore. I am considering having it rebored and does anyone here know if a 6.5 Creedmore reamer will clean up the chamber ?
I know I will have to seat bullets a lot deeper in order for them to fit the magazine.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Why not rebore it and leave the chamber, except for the neck, alone? You could call your cartridge the 6.5X48 Shoemaker. It has a nice ring to it!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not; the .250 groove diameter is the same size, or larger, than the .264 bore diameter; it won't clean up.
The chamber is not your problem.
You need a new barrel.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Obviousl I didn't look into it too closely. Maybe a 270/250 ? At least I can make it a 300 savage, which was also a factory option.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, have you considered reboring to .30 caliber (if there's adequate muzzle diameter) and ending up with a 300 Savage? I always had a great deal of respect for that cartridge probably from my youth. I can still remember friends who hunted with Savage 99's in 300 and it's stuck with me for 50 more years. Good luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes but with the 270s or .30s, you are in the boring category; at least with the 6.5, you get more sex appeal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you kill a charging brown bear with a 9mm, you are allowed to use boring rifle cartridges.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope,, the 9mm rifle cartridge, or anything bigger than .33, in any length, is not a boring one. 270 and 30, are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You would be better off selling that Savage and buying a creedmore..If you like that idea let me know how much you want for the 250..How does it shoot with the bad barrel?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nope,, the 9mm rifle cartridge, or anything bigger than .33, in any length, is not a boring one. 270 and 30, are.

https://www.americanhunter.org...zly-with-9mm-pistol/

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Rebore to 300 sav seems like a good idea

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nine mm pistols are definitely boring and that guy is lucky he didn't get eaten.
300 Savage is also well into the boring category.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Jeez...if it blows your skirt up, call it a 6.8 and 7.62

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Way too small and common. I do have 6.8s and 7.62s, but they are just tools, like hammers. Only things above about .33 are interesting to me. I would rather fling one big bullet than several small ones.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
God I hate metric. Canada is predominantly metric and I use both metric and English systems, back to back every day and the only practical use I can see for metric is so that Frenchmen can measure their penises and get an honest 6 out of the ruler!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why they said Napoleon was short; the French inch was longer than the English inch, so he was listed as 5 foot 2 inches. But really, he was 5 foot 7, in English feet (above average for the time) . The English promoted his shortness as propaganda.