Find
Notify
Tools

What adhesive would you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
My Leica scope has a rubber eye protector on the last half of the rear objective. Shooting my rifle today, recoil caused it to pop off each time I fired the rifle. I have a brown bear hunt on the peninsula in three weeks... what adhesive do you guys use to hold rubber to metal without making a mess? Thinking rubber cement but wanted the expert's opinion.

Thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First de-grease the metal scope rim and the rubber protector contact points with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Available at your local pharmacy for a couple of dollars. Apply contact cement to both pieces with a small artist's brush. Let dry for 5 minutes and then apply. Should hold well.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Permatex RTV gasket maker, black. Same as I use when assembling flathead Jeep and Dodge engines. You could make an eyepiece with that stuff.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Superglue will bond most things together well. Have used it in similar situations to yours. Just don't go heavy handed with it.

I use this glue when wrapping electricians tape around something, where usually after a length of time the tail of the tape comes away from the wrap as its own adhesive ages or is affected by heat, a little smear of superglue on the tail of the tape and it never lifts.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Permatex RTV and Super Glue on a Leica??

I would call LeicaUSA and explain the issue and have them mail you a replacement eye cup. Yours is probably stretched.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:

I would call LeicaUSA and explain the issue and have them mail you a replacement eye cup. Yours is probably stretched.

Bill Jacobs

+1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:

Bill Jacobs

Yes obviously stretched so why piss around with a replacement that will stretch in time too. Who cares if it is a Leica, it failed where other far cheaper scopes don't have trouble with a simple rubber ring. 'Names' and dollars don't always translate to great things.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Those rubber eyepieces often add a lot of tunnel vision you can do without.

I replaced the one on a Kahles 1.1-4x with a loop of black electrical tape pulled tight so the quarter inch protruding over the back contracts and hardly contributes any tunnel vision at all. To stop the adhesive gathering fluff, I had added a thin strip of tape on the inside of that protrusion, adding to rudimentary recoil protection that will crumple in the event of contact.

The only downside I can see is that this tape can be hard to add caps over, but I try to do without them when possible.

As to sticking back the original rubber, I would use rubber-solution glue, available at newsagents etc.

Posts: 5089 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leather cement, but I also don't care for that rubber cup on a scope, for me a better cure is a low power scope with sufficient eye relief, especially on a DG rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoe Goo. Great stuff. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Liquid electricians tape is dandy stuff. Clean the surfaces with a degreaser first of course. It can be peeled off in the future if necessary.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote