Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO VZ24 or Columbian FN Action
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Blokes, which of these actions would you use for a 9.3x62? do they vary from preWW2 M98 actions and is there any issue with strength of either? Thanks

Cheers

Posts: 28 | Location: downunder | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tbolt,

It's generally held that the VZ is the stronger action, but for the calibre you have in question, this will not be an issue. It will come down to which is the better finished, or which is cheaper. I have a 300H&H VZ24 and a 375H&H Columbian. Both work fine. Even a 1908 Brazilian will work for what you want

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several different rifles built on the vz24 and find them to be very solid actions to work with. I just got my first 9.3 built on a 96 action so I don't believe you will have trouble with either.
the 24's run about $100 here now. I bought half a dozen a few years back at $60 so that has been my foundation for experimenting.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Kurt,

Alloy is a very misleading term. True many were alloyed with ingredients meant to ease machining but in the end, the so called alloy was really still basically mild steel. Two things happened latter that made these better, IMHO. Heat treatment improved. Rather than just being pack hardened in areas that needed it most the heattreat seemed to me more of an all over affair. Mass production techniquesseemed to have improved and tolerances seemed cloaser. At least in terms of parts interchangability. I think much of these two events may stem from the fact that the manufacturing jobs were no longer Government Jobs. Especially in the 20 's and 30's and especially with the Czechs.

About two years ago Thomas Burgess posted a good response to a similar question. I think JBelk made the statement that 20's & 30's production was out of alloy steel. Mr. Burgess thought otherwise.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote