New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ivory or platinum triangle insert for sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To add a little style to my Rigby, I want to install an ivory or platinum triangle on the single standing leaf of my rear sight. Does any one sell that item ready made? If not, who could make one? Finally, could the triangle simply be epoxied to the sight?
Thanks for your help.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
No matter the material, it will need to be dovetailed into the sight.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. the purpose of the triangle, as I understand, is to focus the eye on the point on the relatively flat reat blade...--to put the front bead... I think I would go with ivory over platinum or maybe blaze orange... this is a "dangerous" game gun. Then there are the ghost rings the size of dimes... or larger.

Brownells.com has whatever is available and knowledge of everything else and takes questions, for North America anyway. Beyond that, I would think about any jeweler could make you what you require assuming you can get ivory. Epoxy should hold it on, but how well natural material will stand up? Good question. If fired these things buck. luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
O.K. the purpose of the triangle, as I understand, is to focus the eye on the point on the relatively flat reat blade...--to put the front bead...

I suppose it helps with that some with express sights, but the primary purpose is to help center the bead in low light - where a ghost ring is not nearly as good. I've used 'em all, and prefer a simple platinum center wire with a platinum day bead, and a folding convex porcelain moon bead. An inverted triangle with the apex in the bottom of the V works OK, but I haven't found it any better than a simple center wire. I wouldn't recommend ivory, as it can discolor over time, reducing it's effectiveness. Blaze orange, gold, and brass aren't very effective in low light either. You want something that picks up light, and platinum is the best I've used.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I haven't done any Plat. triangels. Platinum is the traditional inlay for a fine line inlay into the rear sight.

For triangles gold really stands out as does ivory. Epoxy simply put won't stand up to the recoil. They must be dovetailed in.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Roger Ferrell did a very nice job on a rear sight ivory triange on a rifle he built for me. It is dovetailed in.

Roger Ferrell
130 White Oak Ct
Fayetteville, GA 30214-3885
770-460-0533
rogersgunworks@yahoo.com

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I would use ivory. I can see a flat white triangle better than a silver-colored one, and it looks the same no matter which way the light is coming from. Large ivory bead up front, too.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In.1988.had.sudden.chance.to.go.to.Botswana.
Epoxied.triangle.of.white.bond.paper.to.sight
leaf.of.Sako.Safari.375...Worked.perfectly.
Still.there.unworn.and.bright.white
when.I.sold.rifle.several.years.later.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Why.when.I.read.this.post.do.I.sound.like.William.Shatner.

quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
In.1988.had.sudden.chance.to.go.to.Botswana.
Epoxied.triangle.of.white.bond.paper.to.sight
leaf.of.Sako.Safari.375...Worked.perfectly.
Still.there.unworn.and.bright.white
when.I.sold.rifle.several.years.later.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
space.bar.in.my.puter.not.working!!!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...should you decide to use ivory, go with warthog. It won't change color as readily as ele.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use platinum. It'll be easier to obtain, easier to dovetail in, easier to replace if you lose it and in this days of CITES you won't run the risk of your rifle impounded by an eagle-eyed CITES aware customs official if you ever visit outside your home country!

Ivory was traditionally used on the flip-up "full moon" front sight on many British rifles for low light use in India.

However any such rearsight insert if too large will cause problems if you have the sun behind you on a bright day. It will cause you to shoot high. For that reason if you have too I'd choose a fine line. So that your sight picture will look like a lollipop.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote