New
Find
Notify
Tools

Takedown/switch barrel gunsmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What gunsmith specializes in making takedown / switch barrel rifles?
Interested in field type switch only. Not interested in having to need tools to do the switch.
Action either Win M70 or Rem M700
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Duane Wiebe makes take-down rifles. I don't know if he considers them a specialty, but I would wager they are first rate in every way.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen...thank you...Yes, I do takedowns, but only using 98 type Mausers

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Dustin, writer for Precision Shooting, builds a field switch/swap barrel system that he can do on many different actions.

Dustin has done two systems for me on Sako actions. Have umpteen barrels ranging from 6mm Rem to 470 Capstick. With only a spanner wrench which Dustin provides and will fit in a shirt pocket, you can switch barrels in the field in under five minutes, three minutes once you've done it once.

Add more barrels at any time.

Carry the extra barrels in a shoulder bag (golf bag) and swap barrels based on which African animal shows up next. Drive the PH nuts.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are several other choices;

Fred Zeglin of Z-Hat Custom Rifles out of Wyoming, was a pleasure to correspond with although I have never purchased one of his rifles nor have I handled one.

http://www.z-hat.com/takedown.htm

H-S Precision, out of South Dakota builds a beautiful takedown rifle, which I have handled and am in love with. They are currently not accepting any new orders due to backlog and expect that situation to continue for another two to three years.

Dakota Arms, also out of South Dakota, looks to be building beautiful switch barrel guns.

http://www.hsprecision.com/new_take_down.htm

These are but a few of the more established builders out there. I've talked with several who were willing to tackle the project but do not currently produce such an item.

Good luck!

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest and cheapest switch barrel rifle is a Savage utilizing Skypilot's barrel swap method. In the field can swap barrels in less than five minutes without any rush. Skypilot's technique has been discussed on other forums, so won't repeat it here.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hnts4fun thanks for the link, looks like z-hat has what I am looking for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome!
Good luck and keep us posted on your project. Switch barrels of that particular flavor facinate me.

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote