Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting trigger...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted
Hey fellas. Here's the deal. I have a rifle built on an Interarms Mark X mauser action in .243 winchester. The trigger is not stiff, but there is excessive travel/creep that I would like to get rid of. My question is, how simple a problem is this to fix? Could I do it myself with limited gunsmithing knowledge and basic tools? Or do I have to locate a good gunsmith? Are there any good online resources with a more step by step approach? I don't know any smiths here in Austin, so at this point and it would be much easier to just do it myself. On the other hand I don't want to screw anything up.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

Picture of Obmuter
posted Hide Post
Just to relay my experience with guns in general. 9 out of 10 times when I buy a new rifle, it shoots just fine and everything is A O.K. But for some reason, I got to mess with it anyway ie. free float barrel, epoxy bedding, dick with the trigger. Until finally I get it so messed up that I gotta either take it to a gunsmith to get it back to factory condition (cause it shot just fine) or sell it. I usually sell because I'm stupid ever since taking that damn ginko biloba. And then I buy another rifle and the process starts all over again. It's a viciuos cycle.

You should just take it to a gunsmith, even if he's in Beirut, and save yourself the trouble of finding another rifle. OR, skip the ginko and you'll be just fine.

------------------------------------

CAUTION: The next poster likes men!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mark X trigger is adjustable, but the one on mine was so crudely made that I tossed it for a Timney. There are instructions on the net somewhere, but if you don't have experience adjusting triggers and don't understand exactly how they work, you are better off taking it to someone. Otherwise, you risk creating an unsafe trigger. JMO.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote