New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad remington from factory
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got home from the gun shop from buying a new stainless fluted sendero 7mm rem mag.I got home and started taking it apart to do some work on the trigger and I tried to put a new brass in the chamber and the bolt wouldn't shut.I thought well...Something is wrong with this brass.So..I tried another one.Same thing.I grabbed a factory 7mm round and it still won't go. The bolt will not close all the way down.I took the bolt out of my other 7mm and still have the same problem. I guess this one will go back to the gun shop tomorrow!!

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Makes you wonder how they test fired it, huh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I judge factory rifles as raw material. Some are extremly raw. And some are still running around on the hoof.

If the bolt will not close without a cartridge, back out the front guard/floorplate screw. A too long front scope mount screw (the rear most screw) will also cause this.

Take a new, unfired, empty case. Remove the bolt. Stick the case in the bolt face, rim under the extractor, and hold the case against the plunger ejector with your finger. Carefully insert the bolt, with case held in the bolt, back in the action and, still holding the case against the plunger with your finger, chamber the case. If it chambers this way, the extractor is goofed up. If it won't chamber this way, the headspace is short or you have a foreign object in the way somewhere.

My guess is rifles are now test fired via virtual reality. After all, this is what our kids have been taught in school for many years.

I have found new out of the box M700's, belted chambers, with burrs at the chamber mouth, just ahead of the belt. The minor ones just scratched cases. Some were so bad that the burr interferred with the belt when chambering. A simple barrel removal and 5 minute debur/chamfer job in the lathe fixed things.

[ 09-24-2002, 07:30: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bad Remington from the factory? I'm shocked and dismayed! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im just curious about what remington will do about this.I sent them a email and should get a reply back in a day or 2.I hope the gun dealer will just give me another one.Im leaving for South Dakota in a week!!!

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
Not quite on topic, but my Ruger and Savage rifles both had very light copper fouling in the barrels when I bought them "new", so they were at least checked to see if they made a bang. It would be nice if the target was included too (like Weatherby).

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Are there any marks on the bolt handle to show where they put the pipe on to close it [Big Grin] ?
Any chance the barrel is marked wrong and it's not a 7mm?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John that is something that I thought about.I checked the bore diameter and it was right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd take that rifle right back to the dealer for an exchange and let him deal with Remington - should be no questions asked by your dealer.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Amen, rifleman 1---

You paid money for a RIFLE, not a headache. If the dealer won't exchange it I'd demand a refund because the item is defective....if they refused I'd be in the BBB office filing a complaint in 10 minutes and burn up the email lines to Remington complaining about their dealer and their quality controls.

I saw a 270 mountain rifle that had no bolt head recess in the butt of the barrel, but was marked as test fired.

I owned a Ruger Super Blackhawk with an unfluted 45 LC cylinder, and a S&W M-17 with a completely solid cylinder......no chambers at all.....but the test target was terrific!!

The first Browning M-92s wouldn't fire at all due to a manufacturing mistake......I wonder how many were shipped before they figured out they didn't shoot?

I saw a Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet that had a belted mag extractor and have lost count of bad M-700 extractors right out of the box. Along with leaking bluing salts, stuck ejectors, crooked barrel threads, and mis-drilled scope mount holes are living proof the gun companies either don't know what they're doing or (more than likely) don't really care.

I like the pre-war Winchester way-----they had examples set up in the shop. If a bolt didn't *feel* like the example or it didn't operate like the shop example it didn't go in the box!

The job of factory tester (or anything else) must be a mind numbing job suited to people with little imagination and even less ambition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jac,

From your post:

"gun companies either don't know what they're doing or (more than likely) don't really care"

I suspect they get away with it because most gun owners don't care or notice how bad some of this stuff is. If Winchester, Remington etc. thought they could sell a rifle with a barrel that did not have a hole through it, they would do it. But they know people would not buy one of those. So they make the lowest standard of gun that will sell.

There is something inpolitics that goes aalong the lines of "the population gets the politicians they deserve". A similar principle may apply to gun buyers and gun makers.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"...they make the lowest standard of gun that will sell..."

In my humble opinion that is the key to the whole issue.

"...a population gets the politician they deserve..."

Ooof! That hurt! That REALLY hurt!!! I don't think I can argue with you though.

In case you can't tell, I have in mind a certain jackass that roamed these parts for about eight years, up until about two years ago. But please, in my defense I will compare the situation to rifle consumers. We, as rifle consumers, deserve the likes of the Remington 710, because we put up with it. Not you or I personally, but we as a group. In the same way, my county, as a whole, deserved the aforementioned jackass. Not me personally, but my country, of which I am, of course, a part.

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wismon,

America is not alone. Australian gun owners continually complain that the two major parties do not listen them. People also complain that the two major parties are not getting the message on immigration.

No consider this. In Australia we have a preferential voting system that means a vote for a minor party or independent does not waste the vote or takea vote away from your preferreed major party.

We havea party called The Shooters Party. At the last election The Shooters Party vote amounted to about 15% of shooters voting for them. The other 85% would prefer to vote the parties that are anti gun.

We also have a minor party called One Nation which has immigration as one of it main patforms and this platform is in agreement with what very alrge percenatge of the population thinks should happen. They got 5% of the total vote.

In the USA, about 50% of people turned up to vote. If you were a politician you could only think that your "boss", that is the voters, don't care what you do, so let's press on.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the update guys.I took the gun back to the gun dealer and we worked on it for a few min and discover a small burr.We cleared that out and chambered the gun several times.I wore a small place on the brass and after a few times it is showing no preasure scrape marks on the brass at all.I have tried several other brass and it seems to be doing fine. I emailed remington last night and I had a message on my answering machine when I got home for me to call them and they would do everything possible to make it right.Im pretty impressed with that.

<John Lewis>
posted
It's not just Remington. I've got a brand new left-hand M-70 .30-06 that has such a rough chamber you can't extract the fired case w/o beating on the bolt handle. The customer said to re-barrel it because if they couldn't get it right the first time why should he trust them to correct it. If it had been test fired, it would have been evident that the chamber wasn't right.