New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing alloy parts
 Login/Join

<RickMD>
posted
I recently picked up a Pre-64 Featherweight Model 70. The gun's in great shape with the exception of the alloy trigger guard and floorplate. Has anyone tried to refinish one of these? If so, what did you use?

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Rick,

Find a shop that can anodize it for you. Much more durable than bake on paint. I believe most plating shops offer this service or can direct you to one who does.

Malm

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Rick,

I am assuming the alloy you were refering to is aluminum?

Malm

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
The best thing you can do is find the closest trash can and happily toss it in there. [Smile]
I suppose I have a bit of a biased opinion on this one, considering I'm making bottom metal for them, but there really isn't anything that you can do that's going to make them look worth a damn. When they we're brand new, they looked like hell. Unfortunately, Winchester is still putting these ugly suckers out the door, as much as I beg and plead with them not to.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 338 Winchester Classic Stainless came with a two piece bottom assembly. It was a piece of sh*t for the lack of a better word. After opening the magazine door a few times, it would not close again. I had to buy a custom one piece floor plate assembly from Brownells to replace it. Good luck!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick

When refinishing a gun in my shop that has an alloy trigger guard and or floor plate I now use powder coat. I use to use KG Gunkote (similar to bake on laquer) but I find powder coat a little more durable and it looks very similar to the Remington finish on their furniture.

Check the yellow pages in your area and see if there is a powder coat business near you, they are pretty common now. I have my own set up but if you could find someone to do it locally it would be better.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Matt,

Call it job security. As long as gun companies refuse to make the necessary changes to improve their products, then we will always have work...
[Smile]

Malm