Find
Notify
Tools

Need help finding a screwdriver
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
A bit off-topic but the best group I know of to ask. Years ago I saw a 'self storage' slotted screwdriver set that I hope I can locate something similar to. It had a hollow brass-like handle with a knurled threaded cap. A series of smaller handles/screwdrivers fit into one another. It was particularly solid and compact.

I've seen something close (albeit cheap/chinese) with a hammer attachment, but I'm looking for something a little more legit.

Any suggestions where I could locate something like this?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The word you need to use in your search is 'nesting'. The ones you'll see are GAM , which is the only one I can remember seeing that were worth anything and yes they had the hammer but many folks just tossed the worthless head. The newer ones are cheap, often geared toward ladies (painted paisley or pink or zebra) or have a stupid golf-club head on them.

The GAM ones are around, but unless you really need them to nest, I'd get Xcelite screwdrivers, unless you need specific gunsmith specialty drivers etc.

Good Luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with nesting screwdrivers, other than the initial quality, is that once you bugger one up, there's no replacement or repair.

In my opinion, the very best screwdriver you can get is a Williams or Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver for replaceable tips. They're expensive, about $60, but worth every bit of that. Here's where you can find them:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog...on-store&dir=catalog

They store about 6 bits in the handle easily. Buy good replaceable tips from Brownells or the local hardware store to fit what you need.

Because of the design, you can push down on these and hold in screws that you won't budge with a cheap screwdriver. The ratcheting mechanism makes it easy to keep the bit firmly in the slot while you turn it back to get another turn. I push down on the top of it with my chin a lot while turning it and holding the work.

I've used one of mine for 20 some years and it's as good as new today. I even have a couple of the original bits, which says a lot, as it's used continuously.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Baxter & ssdave, thanks. I think what I was looking at was a vintage GAM nesting screwdriver from back when they were well made. The modern painted pink variety not what I am looking for.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote