New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for someone to do a rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an Interarms Mark-X built by McGowan around 93-94, that I am needing to rebarrel. The bore is not bad, but the chamber is not good, and never has been. The reasons really don't matter I suppose, the thing is I need it rebarrelled.

It is a 22" med weight SS barrel chambered in 7x57, I don't remember the actual contour. It wouldn't have to match exact, just something close. I really like the rifle the way it is, it just needs to shoot and not eat brass the way it is now.

Anyone interested in consideration, give me a link to a website or something where I can check out some prices and such. Thanks.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices won't vary much. I would deal with one of the smiths on this forum. I would expect labor would be $150-$225 plus finish. Jim Kobe, Westpac, ZLR, Toomany tools, and a few others here can do a great job at a reasonable price.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Gun-lovin Gal
posted Hide Post
www.rpmgunsmithing.com, the owner is a machinist and a gunsmith who has worked for Dakota and Searcy before opening his own shop. He really stands by his work.

Life is too serious to be taken seriously

Posts: 12 | Location: Sturgis, SD | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gun-lovin Gal:
www.rpmgunsmithing.com, the owner is a machinist and a gunsmith who has worked for Dakota and Searcy before opening his own shop. He really stands by his work.

Can't get through to web site cause it can't be found?????? Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Take the comma off the end of the given address ... that'll work.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Try Tip Burns at Canyon Sporting Arms, I think he is taking work now. he does great work and a very nice guy to deal with.

He is in Canyon Lake Texas:

www.canyonsportingarms.com

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns was who I had planned on using, but his website still says he is not accepting more work yet...

EDIT- Just got off the phone with Tip, and you are right, he is accepting work again. Rifle is headed out to him tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to rebarrel it for you. I have done several just like the one you have. I just built a .300 RSAUM on the action you have. It shoots well out to 700 yds. (All the range I have) I built it for Baboons in Namibia, next June. It was interesting to get it to feed well. I charge $125 to rebarrel plus shipping and reamer rent if I don't have the reamer. I don't have a 7X57 at the present time though I think it is one of the good classic calibers. If you are interesred e-mail me at tapii2@msn.com.......TAP

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You will be happy with Tip's work. He has built a couple of rifles for me and is rebarrelinga 275 Bob for my daughter.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Tip is who I had planned on using, I had talked to him about it before. When I got the money and got ready to send it, he had gotten busy and wasn't accepting work at the time. His website still says that, he said they just haven't gotten it changed, but he is taking work again. I was glad to hear that, I don't really like changing horses in mid-stream. I will be anxious to get it back, have heard lots of good things about his work.

I appreciate the offer Tapper, but am going to stick with my original plan now that I know he is available again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger ; Try ; http://rpmgunsmithing.com/

Man posts what labor rates run and typical charges for said work on firearms .

Nice to see someone with that integrity .If he's able to preform too expectation

then he will do VERY WELL for himself I should think . archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe in Bloomingtom has done many for me.Just picked up a 204 R from him earlier this month. Shoots 5/8 five shot groups on the break in.
He is at 952 884 6031

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You might also look for an Interarms take-off barrel on the auction sites. In my experience, factory Mark X barrels are very accurate.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found RPM Gunsmithing. Don't know anything about them, but try this link.

http://rpmgunsmithing.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the rifle is gone, on the way to Tip. From what I have heard about him, I will not be dissapointed. He said since he has gotten caught back up it should be about 4 weeks... I am ready.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
thumb thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe has built two rifles for me, & is starting on #3 ...... his work is GREAT !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote