Find
Notify
Tools

Timney Trigger ? & Opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted
I'am thinking about getting these for the Win.70 and Ruger 77 Tang Safety.

I'am not a novice at doing this but not a expert either. Wink

How much and What type of fitting work can I look forward to in Installing these triggers on the above rifles.

I would also like your opinions on these triggers for the above rifles.

Thanks

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiny,

I would have a hard time replacing a mdl 70 trigger...........aint bad in my books, and the tang safetey Rugers I've seen aint bad either, just depends what needs to be done...............good tigger guy can do whatever with either. Not sure I would replace just a little slicking up for the most part.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, a Timney is NOT a drop-in proposition for a M70. I ended up letting my smith install it, so I can't tell you what mods were required.

The Timneys are pretty serviceable triggers - in particular for rifles which have poor triggers as they come (e.g. military Mausers etc). Would I put a Timney on a M70 these days?? Probably I would spend my $$$ on getting the M70 trigger tuned instead. The Timney is not going to offer you a much reduced trigger weight compared to a properly tuned M70 factory trigger. And the factory trigger has the advantage of being ultra reliable in the field.

If you really dote on light trigger weights, THE aftermarket trigger for the M70 is the Jewell. It is a wonderful trigger, but does not have the advantage of the factory trigger of being ultra simple for field use.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO I think both Winchester's and the Ruger trigger are better. I have replaced a Ruger with the Timney, and I was disappointed.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link on adjusting the Win trigger.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.asp

Changing the spring to a lighter one allows lighter pulls.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I do not know how Timney triggers are made today, but in the past I have used many of them. All were very satisfactory for the money involved.

When I used to live in Scottsdale and frequently went to the Timney shop in west Phoenix, they had upgraded the process of finishing their triggers to hand-lapping the engagement surfaces in every single one. (On a pin-jig that maintains perfect alignment and angles during the lapping...) I didn't consider the actual lapping as important as was the attitude which led them to do it. A family-owned business, each and every member was dedicated to turning out the very best trigger they could for the price.

As I now have something over 45 years experience re-working Model 70 triggers, I can satisfy my own standards in that regard but, if I wanted an inexpensive trigger that would perform well on a conversion of a military Mauser, Springfield, or even a Ruger, I would have no qualms about buying another Timney.

(Sometimes they do take a little "fitting", but as most inexpensive commercial actions are not made to minute tolerances, that is understandable. If one can't do it themselves, any "real" gunsmith...not just a turnscrew operator who hangs out a shingle...can do it for them at little cost.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote