Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 synthetic stock....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents;

I recently traded for a new 77 short-action rifle in 7.62x39, to serve as a cast-bullet rifle. It's stainless steel, with that ugly hogged-out-butt synthetic stock.

Anyone have pointers on getting this stock type to shoot? Being a certified Ol' F---, it's the first one I've owned of its type. The barrel channel seems to be VERY tight, so relieving that area would seem to be a logical start.

Failing that, does anyone have a short-action 77 WOOD stock leaning in a corner, at a reasonable price?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well now - I happen to love that boat paddle stock - hated it at first - it sure beats the new hollowed out thin skinned stock they are using now on Ruger and many others. I went searching and found the same rifle as you except in 7mm RM -It is the only rifle I have that I did not glass bed or float or anything else - the only mod I made was to do a trigger job myself - found on the net - and had my gunsmith install a Pachmyr pad to soften the butt and lenghten the pull some - will group almost any handload under an inch with many three shot groups being little cloverleafs. That stock will not warp, peel or crack - which makes it just a tad more pretty.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, when I first saw those boar oar stocks several years ago, I thought they were the ugliest things I'd ever seen. They've kind of grown on me now, and I like them. But, when you shoot one, you'll really be a believer. Every single one of the Rugers I've been able to shoot in both stocks, would shoot better in that ugly synthetic. Now, I admit it's not scientific evidence, and some of the wood stocks obviously needed bedding, but those synthetics work.
One note of caution, the synthetic stock will not take bedding very well, unless you use a dremel and remove the surface. Even then sometimes it will not bond. It's as if there is some kind of lube in the plastic or something.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

It sounds like maybe I should give the ugly duckling a chance before I chuck the stock overboard. Dies and brass will be here in the next day or two, so it won't be long before I try it out.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote