Find
Notify
Tools

VZ-33 (G33-40) Inlet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I’m just doing the inlet for my VZ-33 (same as a G33-40) and am having a head scratch as to how to handle the left (thumb notch) side of the action. If anyone has (or knows where I should look for ) photos of this side of some nice VZ-33’s I’d sure appreciate seeing them.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
While this is not nice at all, it shows how I like to put the layout for theese actions. This is a competition rig and made in a haste,fiber stock, hard used over many years. On a custom wood stock, with the wood drawn to the lines on the action, it looks real good!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bent

That treatment is very nice and simple, yet has a bit of style (or brings out the lines of the action maybe??). I can only do simple and I like it a lot better that the detail used on many large ring stocks.

I'm working with a semi-inlet blank (of NZ walnut) done by Geoff Slee and just weighed the rifle - 2.92 Kgs (thats just uner 6.5 lbs) so I will easily stay under 2.95 or so for the finished rifle - you gotta love those small ring actions !!

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's a close-up of the Searcy Scholarship Rifle:

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Here's my Darwin Hensley.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Hensley is the way I do it. While the Searcy look just as good from that angle, seen from above it leaves a gap between the wood and steel, wich is likely to be filled up with everything that is not supposed to be there.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post these. Down under here there are so few nice rifles to look at that this type of assistance is a godsend.

I will follow Bents scheme in general, but take the line closer to the lightening cut like that of the Hensley. My rifle wiil be carried a lot in the mountains and I don't think the little "tabs" of wood like that in front bolt stop of the Searcy and Hensley will last too long.

Thanks again to you all.

Foster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This plain jane is more along the lines you might be looking for.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
While the Searcy look just as good from that angle, seen from above it leaves a gap between the wood and steel, wich is likely to be filled up with everything that is not supposed to be there.

Bent, I can't figure out what you are describing. I have a few other G.33/40's with this same styling around the thumbcut and had to go pull them out of the safe to look over. There's no wood-to-metal gap visable from any angle. Can you tell me again what to look for?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest - This is something that had me puzzled too - cause I thought the "Searcy" style would leave a gap (and it would indeed with the VZ-33's that I have).

If you have a look at the photos of the G33-40 action in the scholarship thead and look at the area below the inlet line you see that it resembles a large ring with the left sidewall milled away below the inlet, and that cut "runs out" through the reciever ring.

On a VZ-33 the below inlet cut does not "run out" through the front of the reciever ring. The above inlet cut to the left reciever sidewall is also different to that pictured in the Scholarship rifle thread. On a VZ-33 it forms a distinct lip at the same "hight" as the port cutaway on the right side. The cut is follows the radius of the reciever ring, so if you carry the topline of the stock right back to the thumb cutout at the same hight as it is at the reciever ring there is a gap.

I've never seen a "real" G33-40 in the flesh to see if they are the same or not.

Sorta hard to explain, I'm the worlds worst photographer but if anyone is interested I can try and photograph a VZ-33 to show you.

Cheers - Foster

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this helps anyone or not but here's a shot of mine again:

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
While the Searcy look just as good from that angle, seen from above it leaves a gap between the wood and steel, wich is likely to be filled up with everything that is not supposed to be there.

Bent, I can't figure out what you are describing. I have a few other G.33/40's with this same styling around the thumbcut and had to go pull them out of the safe to look over. There's no wood-to-metal gap visable from any angle. Can you tell me again what to look for?

Forrest,

If the Searcy does not have a gap betweenthe wood and mettal under the "G33/40" stamping, the mettal on the action must have been worked with.
This is why Tentman asks this question in the first place.
Prewar70's picture from above shows the edge that leaves the sidewall rebated, unlike a regular m98.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-War70

Thanks so much for posting those up, I was trying to decide wether or not to slim the stock some more on the left side and leave a "shelf" under the bolt stop, but those beaut photos confim what I thought, yes it would be possible to bet it a bit slimmer, but given that its already very trim, the practical effect would be nil.

Thanks All, I'll get a friend to do some photos of my stock (in few days) for some feedback before I start sanding !!

Foster

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the clarification. I see what you are talking about now. My rifles actually have a different treatment than I remembered. The woodline follows the "shelf" below the G.33/40 markings.

Now this makes me want to look at the Scholarship rifle again and see how the gap was handled.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I thought I was going crazy because I looked over the Scholarship Rifle VERY carefully and there was no void above the "shelf" on that rifle. I just called Duane to quiz him about this. The answer is that when Tom Burgess did the metal work on the action, he removed that shelf along the left side.

This allowed Duane to stock the rifle like a standard 98 with the woodline left high until the thumbcut.

I feel better now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Do we need to go to lunch.........I can sneak the rifle out when my wife isn't looking.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I thought I was going crazy because I looked over the Scholarship Rifle VERY carefully and there was no void above the "shelf" on that rifle. I just called Duane to quiz him about this. The answer is that when Tom Burgess did the metal work on the action, he removed that shelf along the left side.

This allowed Duane to stock the rifle like a standard 98 with the woodline left high until the thumbcut.

I feel better now.

Yea, good to know there is no misunderstanding!
I was pretty sure that was what had happened, but knowing is so much better!

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway