New
Find
Notify
Tools

opening chokes in chrome lined barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the best method for opening chokes in chrome lined shotgun barrels?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same as you do with normal unlined barrels. Using a variable choke boring tool.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
being that most hss reamers won't cut chrome your choice is a carbide reamer or hone out the chrome. it is pretty easy to tell when it is gone. just touch the metal with cold blue. if it colors, the chrome is gone.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I guess I won't use my remers as they are not carbide again thanks for the reply.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Clymer once made an expanding carbide tipped reamer. They don't sell this any longer but at one time 4-D had one for rent and probably still does. This tool was made more for removing the chromed choke section prior to tube installation. You'll still want to hone and polish the bore to size after using the tool.

4-D Reamer Rentals http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Shotgun

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote