New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paul Jaeger scope mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for opinions & experiences with the Paul Jaeger side mount and, if possible, how it compares with G&H side mount. I have experience with the G&H but not the Jaeger. I do know the Jaeger has one lever, while the G&H has two. Are the mount and rings made from steel? I'm considering a used rifle with a Jaeger mount but do not have the ability to examine it first hand. Many thanks.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
I'm looking for opinions & experiences with the Paul Jaeger side mount and, if possible, how it compares with G&H side mount. I have experience with the G&H but not the Jaeger. I do know the Jaeger has one lever, while the G&H has two. Are the mount and rings made from steel? I'm considering a used rifle with a Jaeger mount but do not have the ability to examine it first hand. Many thanks.

I have two Jaeger mounts. One is for and on a Model 94 Winchester. The other one is for a 98 Mauser, but not using it. They have both a lever and spring loaded button that locates them. I can tell you that you can slide the one on my 94 Win off and put it back to the same exact zero. Great mount. The mounts and rings are steel. I'm not positive but I have think I've seen some of the longer Jaeger mounts having two levers.

My 98 Mauser rings and mount are for sale if you're interested.

I may have the

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
No side mount impresses me much when the base is so short. Come a good bump above or from beneath either end of the scope, it seems to me those mounts would be much more likely to move than ones where two bases are firmly located four inches apart on top.

Posts: 5074 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
No side mount impresses me much when the base is so short. Come a good bump above or from beneath either end of the scope, it seems to me those mounts would be much more likely to move than ones where two bases are firmly located four inches apart on top.

So I guess the M14/M1A doesn't impress you with their scope mount huh? You're wrong you know?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I read that folks like the Jaeger because the rings come in different height. I think the jeager rings fit G&H bases. I'm going to give it a try.

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I read that folks like the Jaeger because the rings come in different height. I think the jeager rings fit G&H bases. I'm going to give it a try.

The rings come with different offsets too! On some Jaeger mounts the rear ring is windage adjustable such as the Mauser one I have for sale.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
quote:

So I guess the M14/M1A doesn't impress you with their scope mount huh? You're wrong you know?

I take it you've found that mount very strong, as it may be. I'm simply referring to the obvious leverage aspect of a long or protruding scope secured to a rifle with a very short mount.

I had noticed a certain irony in the design of the M84 scope with its Oldham-coupling reticle movement, one of the strongest designs I can imagine, but mounted on the M1 rifle with something very like the set-up you refer to.

Posts: 5074 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
quote:

I take it you've found that mount very strong, as it may be. I'm simply referring to the obvious leverage aspect of a long or protruding scope secured to a rifle with a very short mount.

I had noticed a certain irony in the design of the M84 scope with its Oldham-coupling reticle movement, one of the strongest designs I can imagine, but mounted on the M1 rifle with something very like the set-up you refer to.

When mounted on the M14/M1A, not the M1 Garand that I didn't mention, the mount is very sturdy if mounted correctly. I think too of all the scout mounted scoped on the rear sights of many military rifles such as the 98 Mauser do very well too and in my opinion that is a very short and flimsy setup...but they seem to hold. Look at the short mounts on handguns that abuse the scope and mount even more then most rifles. They hold up well also.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks vzerone,
yes, the M84 mount was even shorter but it appears to employ a similar big bolt to fix it in a similar position, presumably for instant installation and detachment.

As said, my thoughts on these matters come only from the most basic understanding of physics. I am equally cynical about the common modern tactical scopes that are about four inches long but sit high and have one-piece mounts only about two inches long. While I take it they serve well enough, I would think a nine-inch reticle-movement scope with low mounts six inches apart would give a more-secure arrangement but, as you probably know, I'm a Luddite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks vzerone,
yes, the M84 mount was even shorter but it appears to employ a similar big bolt to fix it in a similar position, presumably for instant installation and detachment.

As said, my thoughts on these matters come only from the most basic understanding of physics. I am equally cynical about the common modern tactical scopes that are about four inches long but sit high and have one-piece mounts only about two inches long. While I take it they serve well enough, I would think a nine-inch reticle-movement scope with low mounts six inches apart would give a more-secure arrangement but, as you probably know, I'm a Luddite.

Rightfully so Sam...the mounts I am skeptical about are some of the no gunsmithing mounts. Many I've examined are very flimsy. I was a little worried about scoping a Mannlicher style action with the split rear bridge. The rear mount is attached to the left side and is rather tall to align with the front mount on the normal position on top the front receiver ring. I was not to worry as it worked work quite well and is very sturdy. BTW I had to have the mounts made by a fellow that does that such thing. He did a wonderful job.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Greek MS I'm considering scoping, too, VZ.

Though I might buy the mounts if ever I see some for sale here, I was thinking of making my own from a heavy steel pipe I have with an inside diameter equal to the barrel's reinforce. If nothing else, my mount would have a good long distance between the rings.