THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need a value of DWM 1902 Mexican 98 action. with pics.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a value of DWM 1902 Mexican 98 action. with pics.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I may have to sell this due to being out of work for ACL surgery. I bought this with the idea of it being the perfect action for building my bucket list 257 Roberts custom sporting mauser. While I don't want to sell it, if worst comes to worst I may have to. I am wondering if it can be detailed while leaving the lettering on the left wall unharmed. The bolt needs some detailing, but can be used for the intended purpose. The top of the front ring appears to be scrubbed with some unholy electric penciled numbers in its place. What should I ask for this thing if worse comes to worse? The 7x57 barrel has been cut down to 20.5" and is quite dark. Thanks for any advice that you may have.
Matt

P.S.

More than one literary source has stated that the Mexican small ring 98 design was a F.N. design. A lot of folks have never seen or heard of the 1902 DWM's. The design is obviously not F.N.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

A very rare action. I have one, and the receiver design seems closer to the M95/M96s than to the FN large ring actions, to me. And the fact that DWM was making these in 1902/1903 seems to verify that the SR Mexican Mauser was a not a FN design.

I would have to see photos of the bolt to hazard a guess.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems be nothing more than a 95 with 98 DNA added:

Gas blocking bolt shroud
Cock on opening
Gas vents in bottom of bolt
"C" ring breach
Third safety lug

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I meant cock on opening. I went back and changed it.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $400.00 for my barreled action a couple of years ago, but it is in nearly mint condition, with an excellent bore. But I think I probably got a great buy.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote