THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent Action or Barreled Action from MRC?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking at building a stainless .325 WSM. I would like to hear from folks who have purchased a 1999 action or barreled action from Montana Rifle Company recently (within the past six months). I would like to hear about quality issues, accuracy, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received my barreled action yesterday. It took about 3 months for delivery. It's a stainless steel .250 Savage with a 23" barrel. I decided to send it to Serengeti for their action treatment, so I guess I can't quite give you too much info on the quality of the action directly from MRC.

The one thing I wish I had done while the action was at MRC or Serengeti was to have the bolt jeweled and the bolt knob checkered. Even though the gun looks fine, it still looks a bit bland for my tastes. I'm going to have the bolt worked on once I have a chance to shoot the rifle and see how accurate it is.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
did MRC change there website of is it still montanarifleman.com?

I know there were some questions awhile ago, and just want to make sure I go to the correct one.

thhanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.montanarifleman.com/

Still the right one...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hikerbum:

I was some what confused also about the MRC. I called and ordered a SS LA MB 4 days ago. I talked with Jeff Sipe Co-Owner and Son of Brian Sipe the founder. It appears several of the former employees of MRC have left and Bought/Merged what ever with MCGowen Barrel Company. These former employees are working on developing their own actions. There appeared to be no ill will between the two different companies. I was told that the MRC SS LA MB that I ordered would be available at months end or the first of January 08. Could not have asked for better service. I bought an action from them about a year ago and with some work it made a fine rifle. I have no complaints wiith them.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for the stock to arrive for my 250 Savage 23" barreled action. In the meantime I sent the bolt to Dennis Olson to be jewelled and checkered. I'm really pleased with how it looks and feels. I also put on some Talley mounts. I've posted a picture below. It now weighs 6lbs 1oz. Not exactly a lightweight, but it should hardly kick.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/Chucky8888/mrc2.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj209/Chucky8888/mrc3.jpg