Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Looking for a Small Quantity of Kasinite
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
At one time I had some Kasinite, but since moving from Indiana to Northern NY State, I have no idea where it got to.

I only need a few ounces for doing screw heads and would gladly pay a few $$$ + shipping if anyone has any.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get it from Track of the Wolf; they call it Tru Spark.
Eleven bucks.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kasinite has not been made in a number of years now.

I had to start using Cherry Red, same as Kasinite, but do not enhale the smoke, will make your sinus's run.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
At one time I had some Kasinite, but since moving from Indiana to Northern NY State, I have no idea where it got to.

I only need a few ounces for doing screw heads and would gladly pay a few $$$ + shipping if anyone has any.

I have a can of Kasinite, I could share some with you if you want. perhaps PM me with an address and wants
I have used Cherry Red and Kasinite and found I liked the Kasinite better.My be just a personal thing but had better color with Kasinite. coffee

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
What the heck is it and what do you use it for?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 885 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is a powder that imparts carbon into steel, so you can harden it. You heat the steel red/orange and dip it into the powder; it will stick to the steel. Heat again and it will melt onto the steel; quench in water and presto; the surface will be very hard. You can't harden steel without carbon in it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are we re-inventing the wheel here ? All those old rifles like Mausers were made of low carbon steel which was then carburized so that the surface could be hardened .
Kasenite and others were a source of carbon and other things like Barium carbonate to help the diffusion of the carbon.
So receivers were case hardened ,lock work on things like S&W revolvers were case hardened .
Today things like Glocks are case hardened using carbon and nitrogen .
Metallurgy is fun !! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Get it from Track of the Wolf; they call it Tru Spark.
Eleven bucks.

Hey thanks, that's what I am looking for, a small quantity.

Everyone else sells it by the pound and with shipping it will run me $40. I wouldn't use a pound in my lifetime.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote