Find
Notify
Tools

Reboring
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sako
posted
I have a sako forrester .243 win with a heavi barrel that i vant to rebore in .260 rem!
Are there any problems in this?

Ps, How do i resise .243 cases to 260 rem?

Ben .Iceland

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have a sako forrester .243 win with a heavi barrel that i vant to rebore in .260 rem!
Are there any problems in this? Ps, How do i resise .243 cases to 260 rem?Ben .Iceland

Should be no problem cleaning up from .243" to .264". Over .02" difference.

Get a tapered expander ball with a final dia. of .264". (.224" -.264", etc.) I believe Forster, among others makes these. Check Handloaders Digest for such tools, or the various reloading tool makers' websites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cost. The time. Why not get a new barerel?? Reboring is mostly used for barrels with fancy contours that can not be duplicated at reasonable costs today. One would not normally rebore a modern factory barrel.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
I have thought about rebarrel instead but since i live in Iceland and the best barrelmakers are in the U.S it takes just too long for me to get it!

Thanks for the answers fellows.

Ben .Iceland

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sako, a rebore will usually take much longer than a new barrel, regardless of maker. And while I thank you on behalf of Americam barrel makers, unless you are benchresting I think Lothar Walther will serve you well for any application.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
I think ill listen to the pro,s and order a new barrel

Plus its not as long time as i thoght.

How are these Pac-nor barrels? They look great!

Thanks

Ben .Iceland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako

Cliff LaBounty is considered one of the best in the business of reboring. He will not rebore a Sako barrel, he says it is too difficult to machine.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Hall>
posted
� ��num sporum myndi �g sko�a Lothar Walther hlaup. St�li� � �eim er allt a� 3x slitsterkara og �olir t�ringu miklu betur en gamla g��a 416R st�li�.�� getur tala� vi� J�a byssusmi� og athuga� ver� en l�klega er skynsamlegast a� panta beint fr� US, Dollarinn er hagst��ur um �essar mundir...

Short translation...

Why do you want a barrel made of 416R. While the 17-4 steel is the most corrosion resistant on the market and have shown3X extension in throat life and top accuracy.

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Think ill just buy a new sako 75 in 6,5-284 and sell the old one! Will cost me about the same!

F� m�r heldur n�jan sako 75 � 6,5-284 og sel �ann gamla.
�a� kemur ni�ur � sama sta� peningalega nema bara allt n�tt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have thought about rebarrel instead but since i live in Iceland and the best barrelmakers are in the U.S it takes just too long for me to get it!

Dear Ben,

Border Barrels (Dr. Geoffrey Kolbe) are definitely *not* far away from Iceland :-), and their barrels are excellent. They also can rebore, if need be.

Best regards from a bit further away,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Pac-Nor barrels. I remember a thread with mixed reviews a while back, again my results were fantastic. Pac-nor has a "prefit" option. Those barrels have a slightly long chamber. You only need to trim the shoulder in a lathe to get the headspace correct. Last check was about $200 for one of those. I would think that is a fraction fo the cost of a new rifle. Maybe rifles are really cheap in Iceland?? Ha HA. : ) Good luck.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Hehe ,no rifles are not cheap here! just a little example, a new Rem 700 sendero cost what 900$? in the U.S, does cost more than 1800$ up here!

The thing is what i,ll end up paying for a new barrel is similar to what i,ll pay for a new sako 75 if i put the old one in it too!

But thanks for all the info guys!

Ben, Iceland