New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapman Safety Tools
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While cleaning up around the shop today, I came across a neat little aluminum block which I found to be a jig for installing a Chapman Safety.

Brownells shows it coming with what looks like a little saw and arbor, both of which are missing at the moment.

I would like to know if anybody has a copy of the instructions and what else exactly comes with it.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that set and it comes with the 3“x1/8†slotting saw and arbor, and a 1â€x 7/32†woodruff cutter...and also a threaded pin/stud for the shroud.

I also have the instructions but since I spent my time and money copying/mailing you the info you asked for on the Pederson devices and you never even bothered to thank me or even let me know you got it, send me $20 bucks and I‘ll send you a copy of the instructions. Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted 20 Jan 2006 1:26 PM
Got the envelope yesterday.

Excellent material, just the kind of info I was looking for, enough to make me go crazy trying to figure out how I would ever make anything like it.

Thanks alot, I owe you one.

-Spencer

I did too thank you!

Is the arbor for the saw anything special? It does not look like much more than a threaded shaft and nut. What is the pin/shaft thing for, I can't see a place in the block for it to thread into.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
Posted 20 Jan 2006 1:26 PM
Got the envelope yesterday.

Excellent material, just the kind of info I was looking for, enough to make me go crazy trying to figure out how I would ever make anything like it.

Thanks alot, I owe you one.

-Spencer

I did too thank you!

Is the arbor for the saw anything special? It does not look like much more than a threaded shaft and nut. What is the pin/shaft thing for, I can't see a place in the block for it to thread into.

-Spencer

Spencer,

Don’t know where you ever posted that because I had to PM you twice asking if you ever got the stuff. Not a big deal, I was just pulling your chain anyway.

Slotting saws (or at least all the ones I have ever used) have a key slot and the arbors that mount them have a spline on their shafts that fit the slot in the saw. The arbors aren’t just a plain threaded shaft with a nut.

The threaded pin is what aligns and holds the bolt shroud in the jig. The threaded portion goes through and has a washer and nut that tightens down and holds the shroud in place for the cutting operations.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I copied and pasted the PM I sent you.

Funny, I never received your two PM's either... I guess we are not allowed to talk to each other anymore Big Grin Big Grin

I see now how the other parts fall into place. I suppose a call to Brownells is in order.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
I copied and pasted the PM I sent you.

Funny, I never received your two PM's either... I guess we are not allowed to talk to each other anymore Big Grin Big Grin

I see now how the other parts fall into place. I suppose a call to Brownells is in order.

-Spencer

I guess Don is filtering PM’s now! Smiler

I remember you finally answered me after the third PM and said something about you thought you had sent me a PM to let me know you got the stuff, but I never got that.

The threaded pin/plug you have takes the place of the cocking piece and firing pin in the shroud and the threaded portion goes through the plate and you tighten down the nut to hold the shroud in place on the jig while you make the cuts and drill the holes.

Anyway...the Chapman jig doesn’t come with the saw blade and woodruff cutter anyway. That is sold separately by Brownell’s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see.

I had planned on someday making a jig, like the one at gswagner.com just never got around to it.

Looks like a pretty neat safety and a nice change of pace from the Mark II swing style.

-Spencer