New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents: god knows I have enough guns as it is , but I just stumbled on a FN Mauser action.
Actually it is a rifle in 264 mag made in Belgium , the barrel is shot out so it has seen some use.
It has very (read very) nice wood but unfortunately some moron cut the stock off real short and in stalled a telescoping shotgun recoil pad on it also the floor plate/ mag box is aluminum and there is no finish left on it.
As my calibers are at the moment ( havening a mag bold face) the choice would be 350 Rem mag or 458Win mag the preference going to the 350.
The gun has a 18.5� barrel and other than my Ruger #1 I never had a short gun like this.,it is sort of neat.
I want to get the most out of that 350 so I want to shoot 250 or heavier bullets and I need a longer barrel like a 20 or a 22 or if need to 24�,Iknow the longer the better but i have lots of long barrel guns as it is..
Who would make 270 gr bullets, would these bullets need a longer throat, what would be the best barrel length ?
What kind of finish to put on the all.floorplate ,a SS or a crome barrel ?
In short what would you do ?

Your input is appreciated
Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Martin,
I guess I can't talk you into a 416 taylor, which you can get the barrel for from midway for like $150, and have it finished for about 175, including bluing? Same case as the 264, just at 416. Shoots 400 grains at 2300 easy, from a 24" barrel

If not, you really should look at the 358 Norma mag, as that's going to give you a serious improvment over the 35whelen, which the 350 rem basicaly duplicates. Remember, the 350 rem is a SHORT SHORT mag, and basicaly only 2 commerical rounds are made off the case, 6.5rem and 350 rem.

I am sure you know, but The 264 is a 7rem necked down to .264 (6.5)

As Ray, but I believe a 404 would also fit in the action.

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe: thanks for the repl.
The 416 T would be a good choice but as it is my smallest gun at the moment is a 340 next 375H&H than a 416 R and a 500.
I looked at the 404 and it allmost fit but not with out some work ,the 458Mag of course will.
Just sold my 7mm Mag. don't want to go thatway the 458 would fit in the cal.arrangement.
The 350 however could be between a Whelen and a 358 Norma if you can seat out the heavyer bullets.
Not only that, I was given a die set a pile of brass/bullets in this cal.
This would be the cheapest and easyest way to go,(have a new rifle on order)and leaves the option of rechamering to the Norma later.

With this in mind a 24" barrel may be a must?
Do you have any idea what to do with the floorplate?

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote