New
Find
Notify
Tools

just a tiny little gloat....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The front sight bead on my ZKK 602 had been snapped off when I baught it, so I'd been meaning to get a replacement.

In the mean time I thought I'd try to fix the problem myself.

My lathe's motor is away for repair, (and I'm not much of a machinist) so using that was out. I did however have a bit of brass rod the would serve the purpose just nicely.

I drilled a 1mm hole into the sight blade where the old brass bead had been soldered on and set about making a new one.

The lathe is a combined mill machine and mounts the toolpost on the cross table, so I put the brass rod into the quill and set about it.

First I turned the 1mm pin that would fit into the sight blade, then turned the bead and cut it off.
Using the cross table to hold the cutting tool meant that I could get the position (which would be height on a lathe) in relation to the workpiece just right. Worked a treat!
I finished the bead by putting the 1mm shank into my dreaded dremmel and used some 320 grit sandper and spit to finish and shine.

I'd made the shank just slightly oversize toward the bead, so it fit easily for about 2/3 of it's length then a few taps with a plastic mallet and violà! A new font sight bead.

It's a miniscule job but I just had to brag about it, if anyone is intersted I'll try to take some pictures.

It's nice when Mr.Bubba does a good job...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey
Post a picture, I love seeing peoples handiwork, especially if you are tickled about it, show a photo....

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote