New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some Advise with a new Rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a new Remington Model 700 LSS in a 257 Weatherby Magnum. The rifle has only been shoot eight times. When I shoot Weatherby factory ammo (100 grain bullets) there is a slight enjector mark on the brass and the primer has rough edges on the outside where the firing pin hits the primer.

Also after full lenght resizing the brass and trimming the case to 2.540 and even a tad shorter. Then I will put the brass in the chamber and it seems the bolt is tighter than normal when closing, after I eject the brass out there is a fresh scrape on the brass from the bolt face.

I double checked my resizing die to make sure that I was resizing the full case. Also after I resized the brass I noticed the resized brass was 0.003 larger just in front of the belt and also the belt compare to the factory ammo.

Could I have a bad set of dies, they are RCBS?
Any suggestion or advise.

Thanks
Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
There are several things going on here that could be contributing, and I'm sure others will chime in to add what I may miss.
1. There are a LOT of cartridges that will exhibit ejector marks when firing factory rounds. One that comes to mind as being almost universal is the 7mm Rem Mag. You are in the same league, and I do not think it is worth worring about. Just keep an eye on it, and be sure it doesn't get any worse. Softness of brass (depending on brand) may also be an issue. Try other brands. It also doesn't hurt to chrono factory loads. It will give you a baseline for reloading.
2. When sizing bottleneck brass, it is easy to deform it enough to cause difficulty in re-chambering. One of the biggest offenders is the expander ball being dragged back through a sized case neck, especially if the inside of the neck isn't lubed. It can stretch the case neck/shoulder junction enough to cause hard chambering. Ditto a rough expander ball - polish it to a near mirror finish, and lube the inside of the case neck.
3. Full length resizing can also get excessive. It is easy to excessively size a case, and push the shoulder too far back when resizing. This is particularly so on a belted case. Tho' the belt is there to control headspace, it is very easy to create excessive (conventional, non-belted) headspasc by pushing the shoulder back too far. this will lead to case head separations in short order. You only want to bump your shoulder a thousandth or two when F L resizing. That is why partial full length resizing has gained acceptance - it doesn't overwork cases.
3. As far as the scrapes on freshly resized brass, this is also common. The case gets a bit tite from being improperly resized, the bolts camming action forces it in the chamber regardless, and the sharp corners of the bolt (ejector hole, extractor reliefs, etc. scrape up the brass. You also have that, hopefully small, ejector mark that exacerbates the problem. Sometime this is alleviated completely by proper rexizing and a SLIGHT pollishing/corner breaking of sharp rdges on the bolt face.
4. Rough edges on a primer indentation have to do with how well the firing pin fits in the hole in the bolt, pressure, and firing pin protrusion. Do a Google search on primer cratering, and view pictures/causes until your eyes cross. That will make you familiar enough with this situation that you can decide if you have a problem. Frequently all you need is a primer change to a harder cup.
5. If you send 3-5 fired (not resized) cases, along with your sizer die, back to RCBS, they will "adjust" your die. Sometimes it will be replaced. Just enclose a short, courteous note about your findings. You will get back a trouble-free die. All you are out is shipping to them. Done it quite a few times myself.
6. Lastly, all this is a constant learning experience. Study cause & effect, frontwards and backwards. I learn a lot by looking backwards. Pay attention to what is going on, and what caused it. You can soon be trouble-shooting and curing your own problems. Good Luck, and HTH,,,,,,,,,Bug. WHEW!

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bug

I wanted to thank you for taking the time and answering my question. Sorry I dumped so much at first however, you're reply help very much and I will look into everything you mentioned.

Thanks Again patriot

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby chambered all their proprietary calibers with a lot of freebore this allows a big jump for the bullet when it first starts down the barrel this free bore also reduces chamber pressures. If your Remington in 257 Weatherby doesnt have this extra free bore and you fired factory Weatherby ammo in it you may have had slightly higher pressure and expanded your case heads the only way to correctly resize this brass is with a small base sizing die. Standard sizing dies will not sufficiently resize the case head and this sounds like what you are experiencing. Hope this helps.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Another factor is Norma Ammo - which tends to be a lot hotter than US ammo. How tight is the primer re-seating? if it is not as not as tight as a new case, you may have expanded the brass either due to soft brass or high pressure. Chronographing the load as already suggested is key.

Good luck

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

I may have found my problem, I had my resizing die set down to far causing the brass to expand to much. I backed off the die to where it was just touch the shell holder and then backed off one more complete turn. Full lenght resized and put into the chamber and the bolt closed was smooth and easy. And this also eliminated the scrapes from the bolt face.

The Remington 257 Weatherby Mag is also free bored like the weatherby rifles.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve