New
Find
Notify
Tools

Build up bolt release?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see this on lots of custom gunsmithing price lists for Model 70's. Is it building up the internal stop or the external bolt release tab/lever?

Is the idea that you might cycle too hard under stress and break the factory stop?

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe this is what is being talked about. The outside, for function and asthetics. Here is one that Bill Leeper did for me.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Thanks. Nice looking rifle. What kind of mounts are those? Is that a .375 length action? I'm looking for QR bases that look good and won't bleed over to cover the rear of the ejection port.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, those are custom bases for Talley mounts to fit the modifications made to the action. The loading port on this rifle has actually been opened up more than that on on the "standard" 375 and actually started at 30-06 length. I'll throw up a couple more pictures.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post

Chuck

<allen day>
posted
Chuck, that's a nice-looking bolt release that Bill did for you.

Personally, I won't have a custom Model 70 created without a built-up bolt release. It adds a great deal of function, style, and class to the rifle. Great rifles are collection of well-done little details, the sum total of which adds up to a superbly-done custom firearm. A built-up release is one of those "big-little" touches that goes a long way in my book.....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Thanks for the pictures. I really like those mounts, too. Can I ask what caliber the rifle's chambered for?

Allen, I agree, the built-up bolt release looks great. I also think it dresses up the off side (non-bolt side) of the rifle.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill did do a great job of it and the addition looks great.

Steve, its a 7MM Remington Magnum.

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner sells those built up bolt releases. They can be had checkered or not and are a drop-in fit. Give him a call:

jwisner@quik.com

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Wisner Checkered Bolt Release- it's substantial-one piece milled, not stamped with a welded lump and like all his other stuff, top shelf...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the price of the Wisner checkered bolt release?

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not email him to find out?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The custom flared bolt stop I make is only for the Pre 1964 Winchester M70 and will not fit any post 64 actions.
I worked with Dale Goens to come up with the shape of it.
It is available in smooth #3070C, or checkered #3070CC
Am currently out of inventory of the checkered, will have some more in about 30 days.

Jim Wisner
Wisner's Inc.
www.wisnersinc.com

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote