Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 722
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings,

I have come across a Remington 722 in 300Savage in excellent condition, how much is it worth?

One of the gun books said the Rem 700 is basically the same as the Rem 721/722 series, now that I know the 722 is a short action but will things(trigger, stock, barrel, scope mounts, recoil lug, bottom metal) that fit on a Rem 700 fit a Rem 722?

Or let me ask this way : How many parts on the two models, 700short and 722, are interchangeable?

Thanks for your knowledge
Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 722 has a different trigger housing, stamped instead of riveted from parts. The safety lever requires a cut in the stock but the 700 has material removed from the receiver tang for clearance. The safety levers are NOT interchangeable. The 700 has a torsion spring on the bolt stop and the 722 has a coil spring in a hole. The 722 bolt handle is shorter and comes straight out, while the 700 is bent rearward. 721/722s are blind magazine with a long trigger guard. 700s have the ADL, BDL or DM bottom metals. 721/722 extractors were unique to them, floaters. 700s were riveted but floating again in recent years. I've seen no difference in manufacturing tolerances between the earliest 721/722 actions and the latest 700s, all work fine. A 700 trigger with safety can be fitted to a 721 with a bit of filing on the tang. A bit of work with a 5/16 endmill will provide clearance for the 700 type bolt stop spring. Bolt handles can be changed. 700 stocks will accept 721/722 actions but must be cleared for the safety lever and must have 700 bottom metal. I think the 722 magazine box would be too long to be used in a BDL stock but a BDL magazine might work. Not sure about the 722 box in an ADL stock.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Some people will collect anything so the worth of that somewhat "rare" chambering in a 722 might get someone to pay. But to me the 722 was just a cheap rifle with a poor stock.

That era had stocks with a drop at the comb for iron sights.

If I had a gun shop I would offer $175 US and price it at $325.

<JBelk>
posted
The 722 is the best short Remington action ever made. They only take about $1000 to replace the extractor, recoil lug, bottom metal, bolt handle bottom metal, safety and trigger.

The tolorences are better than any other Remington and I've never seen one machined crooked.

Clean and recrown a M722 Triple Duece and shoot now ammon in it and you'll see a sub MOA rifle most every time. They had decently dried walnut and were hand bedded to perfection. If it strings vertical you'll have to remove about .020 from the bottom of the magazine box.

They were rust blued, too. [Smile]

I'll pay $275 for any 722 that hasn't been reblued and you can keep every thing but the bolt and receiver.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
John,

I think my Remington M40X is the best short action Remington ever made. [Wink]

I never owned a M722, but my first big rifle is a M721 in .30-'06 (it is a .280 now).

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Attn JBelk, I have a 722 action, never been messed with, that I'll sell you for $275, after I shoot a deer with it. It is a .257 Roberts that has had it's value destroyed by rechambering to .25-284. I put an older Weaver V12 on it and it shoots pretty good. I have 23 rounds left of the loaded ammo and it is the "shop" rifle for deer season. Or a 'yote, if one wanders by out in the meadow behind the shop.
Drop me a line if you really are interested in it and I'll remove the stock and look it over real close. Photo available. Only to an FFL, blah, blah. Jay jmcmunn@imbris.com

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote