HEAT-TREATING 4130 CHROME STEEL TUBE *DELETED*
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Post deleted by grape creek

Posts: 84 | Location: alaska | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the condition of the tube to start with ? What rod are you going to weld with ? In any case I would temper after welding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are surely some "Homebuilt Aircraft" sites on the web that could answer this.

I would be scared of hot bending and welding without getting into hydrogen embrittlement.

What welding process are you planning on using?

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grape Creek,

4130 steel has about the highest carbon level I would recommend for a novice to weld. If you bend the rod, you must consult forming tables so you can get a free bend without kinking. There is more flexibility if you do this hot or in a restricted mandrel.

Before welding, select a low carbon weld electode or weld wire. Almost, recommend a skilled welder due to the effects of buildin notches you can introduce through welding flaws. Remember, your welded structure must endure impact loading and low cycle fatique in a cold environment.

When welding, I would guess the 4130 tube or rod would have to held in a fixture to allievate weld cracking. Immediatley following welding, cool slowly or even reheat to allievate residual stresses.

Now, you should know the hardness (strength level) of the original tube so a proper temper or stress relieving temperature can be assigned. If a high level of strength and toughness is required, then austenitize, oil quench, and temper the entire structure.

What I have listed is just a few rudimentary basics for you to to inquire about this with someone familiar with welding and metallurgical procedures up there.

Good luck!

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote