New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much $$$ for a custom Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know, I know, I know. There are thousands of options when it comes to Mausers.

But, approx what is it going to cost me for a competent Smith to build a quality Mauser(VZ-24 or the likes)chambered in 7 x 57 with a 22" tube, stocked in decent walnut, 3 pos M70 type safety, no engraving? Nothing super fancy, just a quality hunting grade rifle?

Any body here interested in starting a project? Approx how long would it take start to finish?

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
StikR asys-----
quote:
I know, I know, I know. There are thousands of options when it comes to Mausers.
Of those thousands of options which ones do you want?

one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
Had a 25-06 built like this last year.Nothing fancy,Boyd Bros stock,slide safety type timney trigger,24" sporter barrel,Simmons Aetec 3x9 scope.All told,a little over 1,100.00 dollars.Yes,it was expensive.But its one of a kind as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How good are you at looking for deals? From a cost standpoint you are best off looking for a rifle already done that meets your needs/criteria. As far as building, from the prices my usual gunsmith charges, without scope you could get into a complete rifle under 1k, just under. That is buying an action, stock, having it barreled and blued etc.

Find something at least close to what you want and then have it finished, you will pay less. To help though, prices my smiths normally charge me:

Barrel your action (includes Douglas barrel, action trued etc.) 350

Blue action and barrel 195

Drill and Tap 45? (I think that is what it cost me last time)

Reshape bolt handle, something like 80 bucks

safety, like 25 or something cheap

stock work, 50 for inletting and bedding, 50+ for finishing, about 25 per panel for simple checkering.

You can see it really runs up fast. I bought a converted mauser in 264 winmag, nice setup for hunting, complete with scope, good stock (has a bunch of dings that could stand to be ironed out). Complete gun was 270. I could have barrel done for 350 and be in it for 620. Much cheaper if you get something partially done already.

But if you get the custom it will be YOURS. I have my first semi-custom coming out of the shop soon, I say semi because it was a barreled action already when I got it, other than that everything else is at my request. It makes me all tingly thinking about it. (by the way, because I was real blessed in my finding this my total cost will be 725 for a "hunting" rifle, not exhibition by any means)

sorry long winded.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Belk,

Can't come up with the thousands of options right now, but the few that are important to me are: quality VZ-24 action(bedded), 7x57 or maybe .30-06, bolt handle turned properly, douglas 22" sporter weight barrel, trued action, 3 pos safety, plain walnut stock with four panels hand checkered, decent trigger(Timney or equiv), rust blue finish, possiby a set of express sights. Everything else is open to suggestion...

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
StikR,

$4000.00 is a nice round number. Thats a decent blank, quality metal work.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Dago Red said it well. Unless you can do some of the work yourself, you're looking at a minimum of about a grand for most basic work, decent quality. Really good quality with more bells and whistles costs a good bit more. A sad part about most custom rifles is they generally don't hold their costs very well. If you want something very specific though, go for it. In that case, the psychological dividends are well worth the initial investment. A good idea is to find a second hand rifle similar to what you want for less than the cost of having the same work done.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
$165.00 if you have your own receiver.
$230.00 if you do not have your own reciever.

http://www.gun-shop.biz//

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
z1r--

I saved the bolt handle picture for my brochure.

Thanks.

[Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is just absolutely obscene. It's too bad that bolt handle isn't just a little longer, then someone could wrap it around his neck! [Mad]

Best,
Joe

Posts: 144 | Location: Riverview, MI | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
You guys are brutal [Razz] If the guy enjoyed himself, and it's safe [Eek!] damn if I'll piss on his parade.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack and Joe, you're being way too kind! [Big Grin]

Jack, what would you charge me to do a bolt handle like that, but a little longer so I could hang my hat on it? LOL [Wink] - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Kboom>
posted
I guess the right answer is, "between $75 and $4000." [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

[ 04-22-2003, 06:58: Message edited by: Kboom ]

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I had a custom built last year on a VZ24 action for under $900 by a gunsmith in Georgia, he supplied 100% of the parts so no extras. He lapped the lugs, squared the action, reprofiled the trigger guard, Fn style commercial bolt shroud, fit Leupold bases, Timney trigger, checkered bolt knob, Douglas 24" barrel, Bell and Carlson spiderweb finish stock, gunkote finish ont he metal, glass bedded action and free floated barrel. Shoots excellent, looks good, finished on time at the agreed price. His web site is at http://www.heritagecustomarms.com .

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Or you can go the full custom route like this guy for $75.

http://pub86.ezboard.com/fmilitaryfirearmrestorationcornerfrm1.showMessage?topicI D=1696.topic
[Eek!]

Love that bolt handle. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Stikr,

I suggest that you try to take advantage of the fact that customs dont hold their value. Hit the gun shops and shows. I found a M98 with the original 8X57 bbl but all other sporterizing was already done. Redfield mounts, 3 pos saftey, walnut stock. I paid $220.00 for the gun, added a bbl and refinished the stock. Piece-o-cake! [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roughly $582.00, not including the cost of the action, which is a VZ-24.
I re-shaped the trigger guard myself (simular to a picture I'd seen), re-shaped a new bolt handle (from Midway) simular to an A-Bolt, but more tiangular, and made a scout scope base from Weaver stock material, sanded the action to remove rust, old blue, scratches, and sent it all to my gunsmith.
He installed a Douglas barrel, welded the bolt handle, installed Express Sight System's (Ashley) ghost ring sights, lapped the lugs, sand blasted and parkerized it all. Chambering is 8x57. I'm told it's done today, so what I need now is a new stock and a new trigger. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Turd/Axhole?

-

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So much for using the safety on that one!

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Now that is a nice piece of work. However, I do believe it cold have been made a bit more classy with a Schwinn bicycle handlebar. What the hell, leave the rubber grip on the handle.
Roger

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The case of the Butchered Bolthandle!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who cares about the bolt handle -- I wish he hadn't cut that stock. I would have traded him 5 nice 98/22 stocks for that one fiddleback piece.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just as there is always someone that does nicer work then us, there are also those who have trouble with proportions [Eek!]

Back to the thread at hand. Everyone has a different vision of what they want out of a mauser custom. After having fiddled with a few mausers myself, here is what I've come up with in regards to how I view custom mausers.

If you are building a custom hunting rifle on a mauser action, it is because you want a product superiour to what can be had off the factory shelves. If you're only going to spend as much as a factory gun, you'll have an inferiour product. If I was going to build a custom mauser, even a relatively simple sounding project as the original post stated, I'd breakdown the prices as: $100 for action, $50 d/t for scope, $200 for 3 pos safety, $50-100 for trigger, $50 for new bolt, $200 for barrel blank, $200 to fit barrel, $200 to polish and blue, $500 for wood blank, $500 to turn blank into stock.

Which totals up to $2k, on the low end. You can certainly get one put together for less, but it won't likely be something you'll proudly fondle. Whatever you do, make sure you know exactly what you want, then come up with the funds to have a competent smith assemble it. If you have an idea of what you want, but are short on funds, but go ahead, you won't be happy with the results, you'll either have a bad taste everytime you take the gun out, or you'll sell it a big loss.

Mausers make superb hunting rifles if you put the time and money into building a fine rifle out of it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, very good summary. The only thing I would add is surface grinding the action for $60 or so.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Puddle>
posted
StikR,
I had a 7x57 built last year just like what you're thinking but using a G98 action and 24" barrel. Ended up costing me just under $900.