New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester trigger for Mauser's
 Login/Join

<lb404>
posted
I read in one of these forum discussions that someone was in the process of developing a modle 70 type trigger for use on Mausers. If this is true, does anyone know who makes it and when they will be available. In my opinion the smith that makes one that really works should be nominated for the NOBEL PRIZE of gunsmithing.
lb404

<JBelk>
posted
lb404,

There have been a bunch of them made over the years. The trick is how the rear trigger pivot point is mounted to the receiver. It should be dovetailed, but that means the tang has to be annealed and that means it must be reblued.

One rather brain dead company made a kit that epoxied the trigger to the receiver. Yes, it killed somebody. No big surprise. [Frown]

<lb404>
posted
Can you do the job on a mag mauser action?And how $$$$$$$$$.
lb404

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leonard, Paul Dressel is trying to come out with one. He had one at SCI this year and he did say that the pivot did have to be welded to the tang. I suggested that it would be threaded into the rear screw hole and it made into a blind hole. He is looking at that approach. Pete Dressel made them also.

Paul asked me if I would buy them and I told him by the bushel full.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
Chic, That is the one> I was thinking that they should look again at the design and try to make a unit change that would not require alteration to the original action. Who wants to take a Griffin and Howe, or a Holland and destroy some of its value by welding and otherwise changing the action. It might be good for a ground-up conversion of a mauser action, not so good for a true classic "original" rifle.
lb404

one of us
posted Hide Post
oops. Wrong topic ! [Big Grin]

[ 06-16-2002, 22:23: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leonard, you would have to modify the action somewhat. Either by drilling and tapping or by welding. A person might be able to rig up something by using the rear threaded hole and making a bolt that the head would receive the rear action screw. (Wheels turning here)

I think it could be done. The geometry of these are so damn tricky to make it work well.

Am off to RSA tomorrow evening. Well the redeye to Atlanta and arrive in Durban at 7:00 am Thursday. Am I excited. My god, lol.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
Chic, have a great time and think of me and my rifles as you are passing through.
lb404

<JBelk>
posted
Lb404---

Let’s discuss this a little more.

I’ve done M-70 triggers on other actions twice. Once on a Mauser and once a P-17.

The pivot anchor point MUST be attached without possibility of loosening. The safety of the design depends on it. No screws, glue or solder. I dovetailed the tang of the M98 and made a lug to fit that looked a lot like the sear pivot point.

The trigger has to be set up to be as light in mass as possible (the one fault of this M-70 design), to avoid inertia firing. The sear interface surface has to be EXACTLY a 90 degree tangent to the motion of the trigger.
Heat treating is extremely important and must be commercially done. To have a good trigger it must have a limited amount of sear engagement. That means the same pressure is put on less steel. Heat treat is important.

The sear must be made from scratch from the same good stock as the trigger and heat-treated the same. The sear must have an extended and angled surface to contact an altered cocking piece. The geometry of that would have to be worked out with prototype parts and force gauges.

A double fixture would have to be designed and made to properly grind the engaging surfaces…..need a diamond wheel to do it too, I have the grinder.

It would be mostly dumb luck to have the sear and trigger fit to match any existing safeties. Figure on any shroud-mounted safety having to be refitted.

Otherwise? Piece of cake. [Smile]