New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser 98's
 Login/Join

<alaskamaryann>
posted
I know it's common knowledge that 98 mausers are the only ones that can be loaded to higher pressures. My question is , how are they distinguishable from older less safe rifles?
Thanks Steve.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two lugs at the front of the bolt top and bottom, and one safety lug at the rear on top.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey alaskamaryann,

I am a true Mauser fan. All of my custom rifles were made on Mauser type actions. However, Mausers are not the only action that can be loaded to higher pressures. Remingtons, Savage, Ruger, etc., which are not Mauser type actions, can all be loaded to higher pressures.

I do believe that it is safe to say that there is no other action, except the British Mk- Enfields, more reliable than the Mauser.

Because of the quality of manufacture, during the waning years of WWII, some Mausers are not safe to shoot at any pressure levels.

The best way for an individual to be able to distinguish between a Mauser and a non-Mauser is to view each side by side. Once you see the difference you will know quality when you see it.

The quality of a well made Mauser is so far above the more cheaply made actions that it's hard to believe that Winchester, in 1963, said they could no longer afford to make a Mauser type action. Who wants a cheap rifle? The rest has been history.

Good shooting,

Smoker*

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I think the poster meant that only the 98's and NOT the 93-96's should be loaded to higher pressures. In which case they would be right.

In addition to clark's info:

The 98's cock on opening while the pre-98's cock on closing the bolt. In addition, the side of the receiver and front receiver ring are in the same plane on the pre-98's. The 98 front ring protrudes out from the side of the receiver.

[ 10-09-2003, 00:18: Message edited by: z1r ]

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<alaskamaryann>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. You're right I was asking about the difference between the various mausers only.
Thanks again Steve.

<eldeguello>
posted
EASY!! The M98 cocks when you RAISE the bolt handle. The earlier models cock when you CLOSE the action! Just opening and closing the bolt will tell you whether it's a 98 or not!! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are three speedlock converisons to convert the 93-96 action to cock on opening.

To verify if it is a M98 type action. Open the bolt and retract it to the rear. just in front of the bolt handle root will be a safety lug, about 7/16 " square.

There are many types of M98 actions, Short, Standard, Small ring and Large ring. You just have to learn which they are.

One good book is Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas. Lots of photo's and differnt types of actions.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
The book by Jerry Kuhnhausen titled The Mauser M91 Through M98 Bolt Actions A shop Manual is a great resource. It will give you all the information on all of the actions as well as what to look for and what to avoid. It will also give you a guideline as to what chamberings are right for each type of action. A great guide for what to use for that full blown custom gun, or that strong reliable go to gun workhorse.