Find
Notify
Tools

Re: unusual groups
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks JAL,
I just checked and it is free floated. Action screws are snug, rings and scopes are fine. It is not bedded so that is where I'm leaning towards.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm being naive, but if waiting five minutes puts the next bullet at the same place as the first, then it seems like barrel heating, doesn't it?

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, MikeL, all the experts must be out working.
Another thing with consistent inconcistency may be stress
lurking in the barrel steel. Should have been releaved by
the factory. I don't think it's a home/blowtorch/hammer
type of job.
Anyway it sounds like you have a good deer rifle, one shot
one kill.
John L.
This site needs a spellchecker.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe I'm being naive, but if waiting five minutes puts the next bullet at the same place as the first, then it seems like barrel heating, doesn't it?

Kory

Sure it's barrel heating, but why the loss of accuracy.
People are probably getting sick of hearing about my
light Zastava barrel. Never fired it more than 10 shots
in one session, but got too hot to hold. Won the shoot
with it, against some heavy barreled long range rifles.
Maybe I'm naive, but why should a good free floated
barrel move the shots around?
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know why but they do. I had a Ruger Ultra light just like that 10 minutes between shoots and it would stay around 3/4 of an inch. Ten minutes to fire 5 shots and it would string and or throw flyers.It was free floated and full lenght glass bedded. I have a #4 Lilja in 280IMP in an HS precision and a 22mag heavy barrel in a pillared and glassed wood stock. Both are generously free floated Once they get warm they string high and to the left. I take my time and they group nice round groups of a prefectly bedded rifle. If I am in a hurry I can use Kentucky windage and keep the group respectable. Makes me think it is heat induced pressure somewhere. Good luck. Maybe try warming it up and checking everything. A little pressure off the front screw might be all you need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It might be heat but I am not sure if one bullet from a 308 Winchester will cause that much heat.
From what I understand a stressed barrel will open up groups more when heated, ie uneven expansion. An unstressed barrel will expand more evenly thereby keeping shots together.
I guess I can't complain too much. Just have to make sure the first shot counts.
I did order a synthetic stock so I'll let you guys know how it does when it gets bedded. Before it gets here I'm going to try a little forend pressure. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote