New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hear of Roy Vail?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently aquired a 1909 in 7X57 that this fellow built up. I bought it from the person that had Mr. Vail build it.

Evidently, not only am I dumb, but I'm also ignorant. While I've never heard of him, all of my other buddies laugh at me when I admit my ignorance. Now, I can't tell if they're doing that 'cause they don't want to admit their ignorance as well, or if I really am the only guy that never heard of him.

The rifle is fairly well made, with a decent enough looking stock. I like the wood better than the metal, but both are OK. I'll probably have some stuff done to it to fit my tastes more, but overall, I think this rifle is a keeper.

Your opinions and smackdowns would be greatly appreciate!

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Roy Vail was a gunsmith/engraver. I think he lived in New York or there abouts. He passed away some time ago.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See, Roger... one more guy that's heard of him, yet I'm clueless...

He actually marked the stock, but this gun does not have any engraved metal.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quality maker. I'm not at home right now but when I get back I will post an article I have about him. Very good gunsmith.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fine custom gunsmith of the 1950s in Warwick NY.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Was a favorite of Lucien Carey of True Magazine and built some very nice rifles.Late 40's early 50's. I admired his rifles very much then and now.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As promised...

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never cared for Vail's work. Too ornate for my taste.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have that Merkel O/U.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote