New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mmccc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ever heard of it? I have encountered a beautifully built mauser, takedown manlicher built around the 1920's or 30's. It is fully engraved, beautifully checkered and carved with the 7mmccc stamped on the underside of the barrel.The 7mm Mauser round fired in it looks kinda like a Gibbs round with a tiny neck and blown out the full length.
I am working on photos but would love it if someone knows what it is.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank M, 3 ea C's = "Controlled Combustion Chamberage" . As with many "religions" There were Schisms and heresies right from the start among the preachers of high velocity. See also PMVF ( Powell- Miller Venturi Freebore) The one "prelate" who succeeded in a commercial sense, and right there in CA where the desciples seemed to congregate (in that Hyper disicpline) became known as "The High Priest of Hi-Velocity"
Aka Roy Weatherby.

Most of the rifles chambered in the CCC form had the 3 letters 3/16" or even 1/4" tall that this fact not be overlooked. Your rifle being engraved could very well have been owned by one with some appreciation for what he had and the rechambering, thus not marked through or on top of the barrel engraving as if to show he was not a complete Phillistine. Hollywood Loading dies were available in many of these varieties. Some collector might even have a set you can pry loose.
[Smile] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Tom,

That takes me back to yesteryear reading about CCC, PMVF, Gibbs and Viola cartridges in my gun magazines in Northern California. I only owned a .30-'06 then, so I read big-eyed about the numbers put out by those Southern California mavens of muzzle velocity, although I guess Rocky was up your way somewhere.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The rifles came via the nephew of August Pachmyer to a friend of mine whose father was also of that time and a superior craftsman as well. When I have the photos I will post them as the engraving, checkering and stock engraving are really something to see. And to have built them (two) as takedown models is really quite spectacular.
Thank you
FRank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I would like to see the photos of the two rifles.

thanks...jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am working on the photos and will certainly post them when I have them ready. I haven't really perfected the digital closeup lighting techniques yet so am using conventional film which is adding a little time. We found an add for the 7mmccc dies in a 1990 Hollywood dies add so it hasn't been that long since the round was still around. I think the rifles are really beautifully made and will enjoy sharing.
FRank

one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone out there has a set of 7mmccc dies to part with, please let me know.
Thank you,
Frank