THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    DO jewel triggers have creep if set @ 2 pounds??/

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DO jewel triggers have creep if set @ 2 pounds??/
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted
it seems I have read this somewhere and now I notice a slight amount of creep in my new jewel trigger. so much so that I can physically see the trigger move a fraction of inch and it wont go off. its very subtle but IT IS there. Is this normal for a Jewel @ 2 pounds?

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. Read your directions for adjusting that trigger.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No this is not normal - or at least not the way it should be.

I have had several discussions with people in the firearms industry, whether the Jewell is the trigger it used to be. The discussion centers around whether Jewell still manufacturers the internal parts with Wire EDM (I think it is called). And, if not, whether (recent manufacture) Jewells can be expected to hold their adjustments??

I tried to get a discussion about the issue going over on benchrest.com, but Jewell is an advertizer there, so the discussion was censored.

Jewell maintains they still manufacture their triggers the way they used to (EDM and all). I can't prove otherwise. I had a Jewell creep on me and we could not adjust it away, and consequently had it sent back to Jewell. When I shot the rifle last with the trigger returned from Jewell (the rifle is still awaiting US export), I was still not sure I could not detect creep under certain circumstances.

It would be truely sad if that super product deteriorated. I can't state that it has, but my recent experience has made me wary.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jewells are loved by a very high percentage of shooters and may be the best product generally available to the public. I have some triggers that I like better but they are custom made and not available to the public.
To say anything negative about Jewell triggers will not make one very popular. There is almost a cult following for them.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
To say anything negative about Jewell triggers will not make one very popular. There is almost a cult following for them.

I have two Jewell-Remington triggers and neither one exhibit that problem. Having said that, I was informed that after Arnold (the old man) died, the quality was somewhat lacking. I have had no experience with the newer ones but, yours should be crisp and clean throughout its adjustment range. If it ain't, send it back.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine did - I reduced the weight and it in turn reduced. The thing is that as there is no drag it doesn't feel as if it's creeping but it does not break like glass as my reworked sako does.

You can feel the spring - the trigger definately moves back before the shot is released.

Just tried one blue printed from a smith - definately better. At least 2 smiths that I know of blue print new Jewells.........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masterrifleman,
Arnold did not die. He is alive and quite well. I'm trying to get him to the Shilen swap meet.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arnold did not die. He is alive and quite well.

My mistake, that's what I get for taking someone elses word for it! Is he still making the triggers himself or has he turned it over to someone else?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forwarded this thread to Arnold. He quoted Mark Twain" The report of my passing has been greatly exaggerated" or something like that. Arnold's son Brian is running the business. Arnold shoots and plays. He is always looking for a better mousetrap.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote