THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing the steps out of Military barrel?
 Login/Join

posted
I have Mauser98 / VZ24 action that I picked up to build up a .308 hunting rifle.

I already have a syn. stock that accepts the stepped .308 barrel. So if I have to, it will drop in just fine. But I was thinking the steps are kinda of ugly and I got to wondering if I was to turn the steps out to lighten the barrel a bit, would it affect the barrel's strength and accuracy ?

Edited to add: I did a little searching my question and found that the majority of the responses were NO !!! to removing the steps. However, any additonal comments pro or no will be appreciated.

Posts: 15 | Location: NE | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My first bolt action rifle was a bubba'd Arisaka 6.5. I used a 1X30 (all I had at the time) belt sander to remove the steps, cleaned it up by hand with emery paper, then cold blued.

It worked out OK back then, at least to my teenaged eye. If you have a lathe to do yours with it will be infinitely better than my early efforts. You can use an epoxy putty to fill the steps in the stock of yours after you have the barrel tapered. If the steps on the barrel bother you, I'm guessing the gaps in the stock will do the same thing eventually.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recontouring the barrel (within reason) should not effect it's strength. As far as effecting the accuracy, it may or may not. The 3 or 4 that I've had done never shot worse after the recontour.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere along the line that the steps were put in the barrel contour to control vibrations and increase accuracy. But we and the Brits did not do this with our military rifles and they shot at least as well as the Mausers.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Fit a barrel band to that spot instead.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote