Find
Notify
Tools

300H&H or 300WM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted
I have a 308 build on a p14 action I have some feeding problems from time to time

i thought of converting it to any of the two calibres above please give me some advice to help me with that decision.

Thanks

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gunsmithing Forum may be the best place to get your answer and suggestions.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with dogcat, but go with the H&H

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They hae exactly the same balistics so go with what turns your crank.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As has been said ballistics are about the same. In theory the H&H will feed a little better because of its tapered case. The Win Mag will take less case trimming because of its much sharper shoulder. The action is plenty big so the Weatherby might be an option and would give you a little bump in preformance.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
thanks guys if done some research and i think the 300h&h is the way to go with the 375H&H,7x57 and 243 i think everything is covered by these calibres

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H Magnum...a classic and excellent cartridge but brass life isn't the best or easiest to get, at least in the U.S.A. and brass tends to be more expensive than the 300 Winchester Magnum.

The 300 Winchester Magnum...also a classic or it's going to be one. It's widely available, the brass has as good a reloading life as any other and is more economical to acquire.

The 300 Weatherby Mabnum...another classic and, in my opinion, when efficiency and ballistics are considered, the king of the .308 caliber magnums. It has a bit more power than the two above, good brass life but not as economical as the 300 Winchester Magnum to feed. It's also not as widely available as the 300 Winchester Magnum.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I would choose the .300 RUM over the .300 Win Mag. That is, if the action is long enough???

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 300 H&H Magnum...a classic

+1

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
thanks guys if done some research and i think the 300h&h is the way to go with the 375H&H,7x57 and 243 i think everything is covered by these calibres

Go with the 300 H&H Rudi. Feeds beautifully and is the perfect companion to your 375 H&H.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the king be the 300/378 (factory loads)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
as classic as you can get ... .300 H&H....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have both and like my H&H.

H&H if you reload, Winmag if you don't.

I am always on the lookout for brass. Winchester stopped making it and Remington is seasonal. If you go H&H, buy brass when you find it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ammo / component availability would be my chief concern.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is uncanny timing!! Just bought a CZ 550 Safari Magnum Classic from CZ just 1 hour ago in .300 H & H magnum. It was one of their show guns from SCI. It has a hand made stock, bedded, excellent checkering, outstanding wood, been through their Custom Shop, barrel band three leaf express sights, cross bolts, the works. I really fell in love with this one at SCI.

Jumped on the phone to Cabela's, ordered 200 rounds of Rem Brass at $63.00 a hundred, set of dies and some Warne QD rings. Can hardly wait for the three days or so for this all to arrive. I'll post pics and some range results in a week or so.

So I guess my answer to 375fanatic would be 300 H & H!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
The Win mag will be the cheapest to do. Just open the bolt face, rechamber and feeding work. The H&H you will also have to deal will making or getting a longer mag box.

I would look at the Win mag if money is an issue. I would do a Wby if I went with the longer mag box.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag. Why put up with the difficulty on finding 300 H&H stuff.

Nothing wrong with the 300 WBY, I have had, and hunted with it a lot, I use a 300 Win Mag now, cannot tell any difference in the field.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will love the H&H. It's my fav in the safe now. I have a buddy that loads for me now and you can find a lot of brass out there if you look. Also Federal Premium has several loads out there.

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All three are excellent rounds, but I myself have a Model 70 in 300 H&H. It is not for sale at any price. Along with my Model 70 .375 H&H I'm as ready for the world as anyone.

My handloads with 180 gr Swift A Frames get about 2950 fps. I haven't had any trouble finding brass or Federal ammunition. How much killin do you need? Uh Oh............now I've done it.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I have a very big magazine and a long action P14 i reload for all my rifles i just need to measure the twist of my 308 but at the moment i get the best groups with 180gr bullets what barrel twist do you recomend ?

i think it will sort out my problem with the short 308 round when i go to the longer rounds of the 300h&h or 300WM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that 308 like 180's it is most likely a 1:10 barrel suitable for all of those 300's recommended above. If I had a 300 H&H I would definitely keep it, but I don't think I would build one; go with the Weatherby.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is only my personal experience as a gunmaker: 300 RUM...used the reamer twice 300 Win Mag...lots! 300 Wby...a few times....300H&H...I'm going to need a new reamer soon!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer 202 in 300 wby and it is an incredible shooter.

I had a custom done up in 300 H&H and the reduction in recoil and muzzle blast are significant.

Both the Wby and the H&H allow you to load some nice heavy and long bullets to boot.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the H&H anytime.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen, Terry!!!!!!!!

Posts: 188 | Location: Texas, via US Navy & Raytheon | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
300 H&H!!!! Both are great cartridges but the H&H exudes classic; the 300 WM is kind of vanilla like the 30-06 and 308. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like to shoot a lot then choose the Win Mag, barrel throat life is much, much better. H&H throats will show significant wear and erosion at around 1000-1500 rounds while the Win Mag throats last about twice as long. No hassles with magazine length either.

You will please note that no, repeat no, new sniper/tactical/long range rifles are being chambered for the H&H while the Win Mag has long remained quite popular. There's a reason for this...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I would go Win Mag.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
If you like to shoot a lot then choose the Win Mag, barrel throat life is much, much better. H&H throats will show significant wear and erosion at around 1000-1500 rounds while the Win Mag throats last about twice as long.

Why is that? Do you have data to support this? I would have thought the 300 Weatherby would be even worse, but mine's doing pretty well in that regard after 1k plus rounds. Same for my H&H. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
If you like to shoot a lot then choose the Win Mag, barrel throat life is much, much better. H&H throats will show significant wear and erosion at around 1000-1500 rounds while the Win Mag throats last about twice as long.

Why is that? Do you have data to support this? I would have thought the 300 Weatherby would be even worse, but mine's doing pretty well in that regard after 1k plus rounds. Same for my H&H. jorge

Jorge, it's the H&H shoulder angle, it directs the hot gases directly onto the throat. The heat from the gases combined with the friction of the powder granules is enough to eat away the steel at a high rate. The 243 Win is another good example, the 243 throat life is about half that of the 6mm Rem and it's because of the shoulder angle. You can somewhat reduce this tendency by reloading with a ball powder instead of a stick type, but the H&H throat life will never be equal to the 300WM. Of course this doesn't matter much to many shooters, for various reasons...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote