Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Bottom Metal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
Does anyone know of any high quality lightweight bottom metal made for post '64 M70 actions? Also, how much difference in weight was there between the standard bottom metal and the aluminum bottom metal made for the pre-'64 Featherweights?

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know if its lightweight or not, but Blackburn Machine makes some high quality bottom metal for the Model 70 action.

I believe that Matt Williams also is making some real nice one piece replacements for the Model 70 that are now standard fair on the supergrade actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mod 70 bottom metal:

Williams Firearms (Matt Williams)

Sunny Hill (Brownell's)

Ted Blackburn

Does Mr. Wisner make model 70 bottom metal?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chet;
22WRF is right, Blackburn does make some quality stuff, but the best news for you is that he lives in Springville and is a great guy to visit with. You can take an afternoon drive and see his stuff for yourself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4 oz.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Chet are you looking for a long or short action.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I am looking for long action bottom metal.

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Win 70 Classics have new Williams bottom metal. They are a great improvement upon factory issue. I like them a lot. Blackburn were too rich for my blood at the time.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
You all probably know this, but William's bottom metal was actually bought by Winchester and used on their rifles until just recently when Winchester switched to an aluminum version. This is for the one-piece version.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
You all probably know this, but William's bottom metal was actually bought by Winchester and used on their rifles until just recently when Winchester switched to an aluminum version. This is for the one-piece version.

They still use our bottom metal on the Super Grades and Safari Express models.....It's only the rest of their product line that has gone to the Aluminum One-Piece Assemblies.
They have completely done away with the three-piece system, where the trigger guard and hinge were seperate pieces.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote