Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver type base for Ruger No1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
I have a 577NE buit on a Ruger No1. I would whan't to have a scope (Leupold X VIII 1.5-5) mounted on it, and need therefore some help with bases.

First plan was to use tha original 1/4 rib, but I'm concern about is strengt. The barrels is a contour #7 with 1.2" base. Is there any weaver type bases that will fit right onto this barrel?

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Mr Mike>
posted
I don't think that there are any "Weaver" style bases available for the Ruger #1. Having said that, that doesn't rule out the possibility of having a good gunsmith make and install one for you.

I think you would be surprised at the inherant strength of the factory quarter-rib scope base. Besides the four heavy mounting screws, there is a rather robust pin that is also instumental in recieving the bulk of the recoil that is delivered from nearly any of the big boomers.

-Mr Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some Burris Ruger#1 to Weaver adapters [from Brownell's], but they were too short for my Weaver Grand Slam Rings. I wrote Burris and they said thanks for the feedback, but I had to remove a little metal on mine.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The two screws are used just to hold the rings in place. The shoulder under each ring is what does the job under recoil. The Ruger built in scope mount system is basically a Weaver design with a different styling. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Mingo - Yes, it is the shoulder I'am concern about. I feel that only two original Ruger ring are to weak. I would prefere at least two leupold PRW rings on an weaver base or have a additional Ruger ring mounted on the 1/4 rib.

Is there any problem making this third shoulder?

[ 05-30-2003, 11:07: Message edited by: Tomjac@SluttStykke ]

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote