New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice from Stock builders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Two questions: 1. I have a 1917 in a better than average stock. Cap is black plastic w/white spacer. The plan is to replace it but I am looking at dark Red Wild Cherry that I have because the stock has some red swirls in the walnut....what do you think???
2. The stock seems a little thick (receiver to trigger guard because it still holds 5 rds. Is there a specific dimension you build to. If I thin it down, can I do it from the belly? (just a note on skills; I have made several nice knives, powder horns, refinished 5 stocks and built three muzzle loaders from kits so I feel comfortable taking this on)
Not the best of pictures but its all I have

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/LostOkie66/19173006.jpg

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock appears to be a Fajen from the shape of the cheekpiece. Set up for unaltered military mag box with straightened trigger guard. Appears to be black walnut althought it's had to tell from your photo. I have one that's never been on a rifle and it looks the same.

It can be thinned down at the "belly" however the mag boxes needs to be reduced and guard screws/pillar shortened. Depending on the calibre of the rifle.....not much of an advantage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really worrying about an advantage. Just looking to slim it down. Probably is a Fajen, I bought it off a friend and it was his father's rifle. Its original barrel and had the ears on it when I got it. My guess is he had it put together in the mid 60's? or earlier. I have another 1917 in 35 Whelan in a slim polymer stock and would like for them to be close to same the dimension.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote