New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much is it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lately on this forum we have really been treated to some fabulous photos of some equally fabulous firearms.

Every once in awhile someone publicly asks the owner of the newly minted custom rifle how much they spent on the new gun.

I suppose its natural to want to know what a nice new custom gun costs. However, and this is only my opinion, it seems to me just a bit rude to publicly ask someone how much they spent on a custom gun.

I think its fine to privately ask someone what they spent.

What do you think. Is it proper to ask folks how much they spent on their new custom weapons when they show photos of them here on AR? Or is it slightly impolite or even rude to ask such a question publicly?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm with you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I was dying to know how much dSmith.45 laid down for his rifle, but I think it's really inapropriate and rude to ask someone you don't personally know that question. In other words, I agree.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres nothing wrong in asking,all they have to do is decline to answer,or choose how answer. let the owner decide. I am sure if he is unashamed about revealing the rifle,there is a chance he would be unashamed about revealing the price. I dont see the big deal,its not like your loosing a trade secret or something. I thought thats what this forum is about ,the "asking" and "sharing" of information to the better education of all.

A little while ago I approached a person to ask them about their new Turbo Porsche,just from that they were happy not only to tell me the price,(which I did not ask), but they also offered me the keys to make up my own mind as to what the car drives like. Some people are more open minded and not as fearful or offended as some might assume.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that people don't want to tell you how much they payed for something. When they realize after they brought it they payed way to much for it.

If I am working on buying something that is expensive to me lets say over 1000 dollars. It is real nice when you go to work out the deal. One has a idea what others are paying for them.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Steel Slinger, PM sent.

Personally I don't mind talking about the money to someone truly interested and possible considering a new project. I wouldn't post in an open forum as it seems too much like bragging. I have a co-worker that like to announce to the world he just spent this $$$$ on a new whatever. Drives me nuts.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, personally wouldn’t ask the question...but please tell me when being “rude†ever stopped anyone from posting on AR???? bewildered

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can never understand why people are so secretive about money. You can ask me how much I have in any gun I own and I'm happy to tell you if I can (some are hard to parse out being rather highly evolved over the years). If you think I paid too much, well damn, more power to ya. Buy ten and sell them for a profit! What is the big deal?

If you are trying to hide the fact that you own something very valuable, don't post it at all. If you put up photo of your Tom Burgess rifle, even I know know it's worth a whole lot, though I don't know what a "whole lot" is.

Why the big secret? And why is it okay to ask in a private message? Seems very strange to me.

That said, as Rick says, "rude" is rather the norm, not the exception on AR. But frankly, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask - they poster can always say no.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
I, personally wouldn’t ask the question...but please tell me when being “rude†ever stopped anyone from posting on AR???? bewildered

roflmao

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dSmith.45:
Steel Slinger, PM sent.

Personally I don't mind talking about the money to someone truly interested and possible considering a new project. I wouldn't post in an open forum as it seems too much like bragging.

I hate discussing cost for the same reason, whenever anyone asks me how much I paid for something I just reply with "Enough." Wink

Posts: 53 | Location: West By God Virginia | Registered: 21 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way people get slammed around here for "payin' extra for purty", I wouldn't answer "the question" publicly. I don't necessarily think it rude to ask someone what something cost them, but it certainly isn't gracious. Of course these days most can't even spell it, much less know what it means.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Hell I am probably the largest offender here!

I suppose some guys might feel in some cases that maybe they spent to much and are embarresed to admit.
I for one would not say you got screwed if it was not worth it to me.Those of us who do ask have the same tastes as you.
I dont care how much money ANYBODY makes or spends, If a guy like me runs into a classy rifle its just nice to know if it is really worth the price being asked. Im talking $3000.00-$5000.00 dollar rifles.
I felt a private e-mail was more Attrusive bewildered

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty as well... But not because I'm interested in someones disposable income. Rather I'm trying to find out if I can afford something as nice.. No biggie, not like you're asking how much they make or have invested in the market... And if they are uncomfortable answering is a simple matter to say, "I'd rather not comment."

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Are automobiles any different?
If you drive a Hummer we all know the price range. bewildered

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF, I have thought the same thing several times here lately.

Just seems nosey to me.

I was taught to not ask what someone elses clothes, car or gun cost.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm glad someone started a thread where I could ask what a D'Arcy Echols legend costs without putting the owner on the spot. Anyone know?Big Grin

I was raised to think it rude to ask what some things cost in most social situtaions. It does put the owner in a spot sometimes, especially in a mixed group of good freinds and relative strangers. I always assume that if someone wants me to know, they'll tell me.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote