New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith Books - Need Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need your recommendations for a good reference manual that discusses preferred rifle gunsmithing techniques. Would like to be able to chamber, thread and crown my own rifle barrels. A friend who is a very skilled machinist has volunteered to train me on the basics of turning, threading and milling and let me use his equipment after he "dumb-proofs" me (safety and equipment issues).

The ideal reference manual would discuss the fine points of getting the most accuracy while installing the barrel. For example; live pilots versus fixed pilots on reamers; what are acceptable clearances for the pilots. Indexing off the barrel versus the bore for chambering. Pre-drilling the chamber before using the reamer. How to hold a barrel without damaging the barrel finish if setting shoulder back one thread. And on and on.

Any book recommendations would be appreciated. I saw many on the Internet but you experts may know the better ones. By the way, is the idea of what I'm trying to do with my friend unrealistic for obtaining quality barrel work?
Ron Teufel

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Owning one book makes about as much sense to me as owning one rifle. You can't have too many books. I don't know of any one book that covers the questions you asked in your second paragraph. You just have to glean information where you can find it.

If all you want to know about is barrel fitting, buy The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting by John Hinnant. He mainly discusses setting up with a steady rest. I won't hold that against him. Just know that there are other ways to hold the barrel in the lathe. I prefer to hold the hold the barrel through the headstock with the breach end in a 4-jaw chuck and the muzzle held in a 4-jaw spider. Both ends are indicated using a plug gauge in the barrel bore.

Another good book to have is Gunsmithing Tips & Projects published by Wolfe Publishing. It is a collection of articles from Rifle magazine. It has a couple of articles on barreling and chambering, but it has dozens of others about metal work, stock work, bedding, etc. Interesting reading.

Both books are available through Brownell's. There only two titles from my bookshelf. There's several others that make interesting reading. I'll bet others will chip in with their favorites.

What you are trying to do is do-able. There is a learning curve. Practice fitting cheap round stock to your action before diving in with a barrel blank. Your biggest hurdles will be making good threads and figuring the tenon length. On Remingtons, you'll add in cutting the breech face for the bolt recess. Other problems will crop up after that, but you handle them one at a time. There are always problems. The only thing you can change is how you handle them. Getting mad is OK, just make sure you don't have expensive tools in your hand if you're the type that throws things.

PS. I just noticed the hometown on your byline. You must be right down the road from Douglas barrels.

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very good book is: "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting...by John L. Hinnant.

Brownells sells it (#404-100-000...$35.00) and I believe it is self-published by Mr. Hinnant.

A good video is also put out by the American Gunsmith Institute (also available from Brownells): "Custom Barreling Bolt Action Rifles" item # 050-120-201...$49.95.

I have the book and it is very good...Don't know how the video is because I've not seen it.

Brownells: www.brownells.com

Good luck,

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thebook that is mentioned it the previous post is the book that I mentioned at another site. The vidio that is mentioned is excellent, a friend has it and I borrowed it and it was well worth it. He was also willing to sell it for 25 bucks if I remember right. If you want to email me, I will be at this address untin Mon. AM and I will let you know how to get in touch with him. I think I remember the vidio is put on by Darrel Holland. Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent input. Sounds like Mr. Hinnant's book gets strong recommendations for starters. When 3 folks out of 3 on a forum "agree" on something, it must be the way to go. Will order on Monday.

As Mark suggested, one cannot live with just one gun or book; but one has to start somewhere. This looks like a good first step.

By the way, I'm not trying to save money; it is just hard to find a good smith that is not backed up for 3-4 months this time of year. The other day I needed a new crown on my new Remington. The gentleman that I lined up unexpectedly got tied up so I gave the $35 to my friend and we both re-crowned the barel (he did all the work and I defined what a target crown was). Felt good to be a part of the quick fix job. This same fellow took a piece of 7/16 x 1" tool steel and made me a Remington action wrench; I welded the nut to the end. Now I can torque the actions to some quantifiable level instead of guessing. The gun shoots good now.

Yep, Douglas Barrel is just down 15 miles down the road. Helps if you want to pick out a barrel.
Thanks everybody,
Ron Teufel

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Ron,

The American Custom Gunmakers Guild Show is in Reno, Nevada everky year during the SCI Convention, and I always take it in too. They have books and videos on sale, and you can check them out via their website.

http://www.gunshop.com/acgg.htm

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote