New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 7600 Big-bore
 Login/Join

<Adirondack Joe>
posted
Seeing as how it would be possible to rebarrel a 7600, I was thinking about doing just such a thing. I think that maybe a 308 being made into a 358 would be a beauty. Or, perhaps I could take a 30-06 7600 and make it more potent. Perhaps a 338-06, or a 9.3x62. OR, I was thinking that 376 Steyr would be a good cartridge for a pump. The only thing is, what kinds of modifications would one have to make to a 7600 to make it work? Would it be feasible?

Also, I'm going to post in the reloading forum about 376 Steyr vs. 375-06. Look that up if you have any comments regarding that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Reminton 7600 was made in 35 Whelen from 1988 to 1996. No need to rebarrel.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Adirondack Joe>
posted
Just for the record, I am not interested in a 35 Whelen. I'm interested in something more 'exotic'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe;Please do not be offended by this post but I dont understand why anyone would own a 7600 much less spend good money rechambering it to another caliber.When I was young I briefly owned one because I was a big 870 shotgun fan and thought this might be a rifle I would like due to the similarities but I already owned an 1903-a3 that I had sporterized it was so much more accurate and reliable that I quickly got rid of the remington.My .02 cents worth

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Gophershooter, obviously my mileage may vary, but my 7600 in Whelen will hold three in 1.5", with the only two bullets I've ever tried in it. For a big game rifle, what more do you need? FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know about the rem 7600, but here in Australia a couple of people coverted semi auto browings BARS to fire .458 win mag bullets (king of Sambar rounds apparently) any ways the new browning pump may be a better way to go, it has a bigger looking receiver and I think would be exactly the same set up as the semi auto only pump operated.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the same Rem. 760 in 30-06 that I bought while in Vietman for almost 30 years now.I have ALWAYS gotten an inch or slightly under. They would make an excellent 338-06.
 -

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch; I am probably prejudiced against pumps an autos as hunting rifles,I am a bit old fashioned in that respect but I would be really surprised if my Ruger 77 in 35 whelen wouldnt out shoot your remington not trying to be dis-respectful or start an argument just my opinion.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .35 Remington 760 can be converted to a .358 with a rechamber and a .308 mag.

The 760/7600 has always been one of the most accurate repeaters in the game fields.

Even with a typically mushy trigger pull, the 760 makes good use of it's freefloating barrel.

I have a 30-06 and a .257 Roberts and both are MOA shooters with factory ammo.

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Gopher, I'm afraid your point is lost on me. How would spending even the time and effort to see if I could get groups smaller be an issue. She is a 200 yard moose cartridge! A 3" group or smaller, anywhere in it's usable range, what possible benefit would shrinking that group give me? I'm not going to take this rifle out to shoot starlings at 300.........

Swampfox, I sent my trigger group to Al Timney, and she came back quite tolerable. Worth it, for sure. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just my 2�
it'll be great in 338-06, or even the "super exotic" 40 whelen. But, this is a serious consideration, it can NOT reliably take the highest pressure loads, will require small base dies (try it, it'll be funny at the range) and will be nifty in anything other than YAWN 30-06.
I've dont some fun things with the pump and auto.. but the auto in 30-06 with 220 gr horndy RN is AWESOME for bush busting pigs.

have gun, blue it well, and, for cricky's sake, keep iron sights on it, too
good hunting
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7600 in .35 Whelen that is my preferred elk and moose rifle. It will consistently shoot better than MOA, and it just works. The .358 bullets just devastate the bulls as well.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Well, I am just goofy enough that I would like to have a 7600 (the only pump rifle I would then have in my arsenal) in caliber 9.3 x 62 to go with the two bolt rifles I have in this caliber.
Can it be done? [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Harry, sure. It's just a matter of money...... I'd ask Bill Truit in MD to see if he could do it, or ask for a referral. HTH, Dutch.

<Harry>
posted
Dutch...have a number for Mr. Truit? Hell, it is just money and I don't have to worry...I am on social security! [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Harry, his website is Billsaccuracy.com. I know he does a good job on 7600 triggers, and does some other stuff with them. If he can't help you, he should be able to get you with someone else. HTH, Dutch.

<Harry>
posted
Thanks Dutch...that is what I like about this forum. You ask a question and you will get help and most time the correct help too!
Who knows if I will ever do this but then again...why not?
It would be a hoot to show up in Africa with a pump 9.3 x 62. The looks you would get would be something else. About like when my wife showed up in Namibia with her Browning Lever Rifle in 7/08. Nobody laughed AT her when she left.I had to pay her taxidermy bill too. [Big Grin]