New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 bottom metal weights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those who care, the standard factory 2-piece Winchester M70 long action bottom metal (trigger guard plus floor plate assembly) weighs 6.5 oz (184 grams). This is weighed without the action screws, magazine spring or follower.

The Williams Firearms Company one-piece Win M70 long action bottom metal weighs 7.2 oz (204 grams). However, when you use the one-piece bottom metal, you use one less action screw (0.3 oz, 9 grams) than with the two-piece setup.

Thus, the net difference between the two is 0.4 ounces, or 11 grams. The Williams unit is a much nicer piece of work, aesthetically and functionally. You do pay for what you get.

I'm just sharing this info for those of you who might be involved in ultralight rifle projects (I am not. I just can't stand the factory metal.)

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 68 | Location: Duluth, Minnesota | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Dipper or anyone,
Do you know the weight of the Blackburn unit?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stu C:
Big Dipper or anyone,
Do you know the weight of the Blackburn unit?

Stu, I do not. I just happened to pull out the digital postal scale while swapping out the factory metal for the Williams unit. Perhaps someone with the Blacburn bottom metal and a scale could enlighten us as I would be interested in knowing myself.

Regards, Wayne E.

[ 11-21-2003, 01:52: Message edited by: Big Dipper ]

Posts: 68 | Location: Duluth, Minnesota | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting..on another note, I'd like to buy a long action M70 floorplate,aluminium or stainless steel.Someone wanna mail me one for a few bucks?

[ 11-21-2003, 04:59: Message edited by: rembo ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rembo:
Interesting..on another note, I'd like to buy a long action M70 floorplate,aluminium or stainless steel.Someone wanna mail me one for a few bucks?

rembo, I'm hanging on to mine for the time being, but if I decide to move it I will let you know.

Regards, Wayne E.