Find
Notify
Tools

03-A3 Action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Got a action for a 03-A3 and will be building a gun on it. Don't laugh, this will be my first ever attempt at a gun building job. Don't expect much the first time and will probably have less than $300.00 in the thing when done' almost all the parts were given to me, and its a test to see if I got what it takes. The Question is if this is a good action or not?(strong and safe) I want to put a 338-06 barrel on it. Everybody says that there are good 03's and bad 03's. The receiver says...
U.S. REMINGTON
MODEL 03-A3
S# 3509283
Well is this a good one or not??? Thanks to everybody that can help...MD

[This message has been edited by MADDOG (edited 12-16-2001).]

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that it is in decent general condition it should be a fine action and adequate for any 06 based cartridge. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Bill-- Thanks for the response.. Do you know of any data that I can look up. Like to see when the action was built etc, How it rates with the others of the same etc. Thanks again MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The high serial number/low serial number thing only applies to the 1903. The 1903A3 was developed by Remington just before WWII and was made by Remington and Smith-Corona using nickel steel.

There are some receivers marked National Ordnance Co., El Monte, CA. or Santa FE M-1903A3., but there isn't much information on them as to their quality.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rule of thumb is that actions above serial number 800,000 are safe. The ones below that were heat treated incorrectly and hard to the point of brittleness.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The .03-A3 is the .03 with more modern metallurgy, better sights, worse bottom metal (stamped instead of machined) and not as much attention to finish. If the action itself is in good condition, it is fine for cartridges that operate in the 50,000 psi to 54,000 psi range, so should be fine for the .338-06. I would suggest that you find "Hatcher's Notebook" by Julian Hatcher, the "The Springfield 1903 Rifle" by W. S. Brophy, and "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank de Haas for additional information on the various versions

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can a 03-A3 safely take, or be opened up to take, 375 H&H?

TIA

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To clear some things up on seriall numbers the M-1903's MADE BY SPRINGFIELD ARMORY below serial number 800,000 and ROCK ISLAND ARSNAL under ser. number 285,507 are called LOW NUMBER 03's. These guns have single-heat treated recievers and should not be fired...

Other than the above guns all Springfield o3's are as safe as a Rem 700 or win. M-70...

Your gun is perfectly safe for a 338-06....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark White,
It has been done, but its not a recomended conversion, mostly due to the number of bad Springfields out there..It is more difficult to open the springfield up in back I understand and not good to mess with the front...Also impossible to find decent bottom metal in Magnum lenth for the springfield....All this is from the experience of others as told to me..I have never tried to convert a Springfield to anyhthing..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Dog,
My custom Springfield is in .35 Whelen Imp. It has been in our family for a long time and accounted for a number of mulies during my years in Utah. It has the slickest action of all my rifles and is the only one I would never part with. Cobalt

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have a 03-A3 in 30-06 that my Dad left me. It too has a very slick action.I made my 338-06 with a mod 670 push feed.If you would like some collected data for this round E-mail me and I will have a spread sheet to send.Just start 10% under these and work up.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote