Find
Notify
Tools

The Limbsaver Recoil Pad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted
Looking for some feedback on this pad. It's for a Sako Finbear Deluxe in .338 winchester.
Open to suggestions for other products too.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i have one of the grind to fit pads on a custom 7mmstw and i like it alot the gun does also have a vias brake on it but i can shoot all day and not feel a thing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a 458 Lott, one on a 9 1/2lb 300SAUM, and one on a 6lb 300SAUM. None have muzzle brakes. The two 300SAUMs are pleasant to shoot. I'm not man enough for the Lott.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vemo:
Looking for some feedback on this pad. It's for a Sako Finbear Deluxe in .338 winchester.

It's a good pad. Requires a little more attention to detail when grinding compared to the Pachmayr, but they are a fairly decent pad nonetheless. Myself, I prefer the "old English" style Decel pad on field rifles, but based on the growing numbers of customers wanting the Limbsavers, they are becoming more popular around these parts.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I like the english pads too, but I am trying to get this rifle tuned for my 16 year old son. He is 130 pounds wet and is recoil sensitive.
This rifle is peculiar. I have a Ruger M77 .338 that has alot less recoil. I have also shot pre 64's .338's that have less recoil than the finbear also.

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the english pads too, but I am trying to get this rifle tuned for my 16 year old son. He is 130 pounds wet and is recoil sensitive.
This rifle is peculiar. I have a Ruger M77 .338 that has alot less recoil. I have also shot pre 64's .338's that have less recoil than the finbear also.

Among other things, you might want to coach him on how to mount the rifle and pull it into the pocket of his shoulder so as to ride with the recoil rather than get slapped by it. Shooting form has a lot to do with being able to handle recoil. Also having the gun fit him properly (length and pitch) goes a long ways in being able to properly mount the gun.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Sage advice as always, thanks. What should I be looking for in proper stock fit, I have never been fitted and have always bought off the shelf guns.

JOIN SCI!

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sage advice as always, thanks. What should I be looking for in proper stock fit, I have never been fitted and have always bought off the shelf guns.

You want the gun to feel comfortable. You should never have to strain your way to the trigger. I have my customers pull the rifle up into the off hand position and I have them lean into the gun, pulling the stock back into the pocket of their shoulder. I have them grip the stock, placing their finger on the trigger in a firing position, and then I look to see how far their nose is from the knuckle of the thumb on the hand that is wrapped around the wrist of the strock. Duh! Big Grin

I have them close their eyes while they do this so that they are not adjusting their grip based on what the scope is telling them. The scope will be re-set after the gun is fitted.

I call this method "The rule of thumb". I want there to be a minimum distance of 1" between their nose and the knuckle of the thumb. This distance will grow slightly based on what clothing they choose to wear.

While the gun is mounted, I will reach in behind the pad and feel where the toe and heel are sitting in relationship to the pocket of their shoulder, and much like a tailor, make the necessary adjustments to the pitch based on this "by feel" measurement. I've never missed yet.

The gun has to fit the shooter, period! I find a lot of customers mount the gun like they are afraid of it. Placing their face well back from the scope. A lot of times, merely having them climb back upon the gun like they are suppose to makes all the difference.

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pachmayr Decelorater!!! Tried, tested and true!! It's an all weather recoil pad. Pachmayr in general are excellent recoil pads. I use the Decelorater and Double Magnum on all except, the one Limb Saver I was trying out.
Put a Limb Saver in the freezer, it's a hockey puck in no time. I found out the hard way, going after my elk in the cold. The recoil was sharper. Thank God it was only my 300 WSM. It's my only and last Limb Saver, in fact I'm changing it after Christmas. If you stay in warmer climates it'll be good for you.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

You want the gun to feel comfortable. You should never have to strain your way to the trigger. I have my customers pull the rifle up into the off hand position and I have them lean into the gun, pulling the stock back into the pocket of their shoulder. I have them grip the stock, placing their finger on the trigger in a firing position, and then I look to see how far their nose is from the knuckle of the thumb on the hand that is wrapped around the wrist of the strock. Duh! Big Grin

I have them close their eyes while they do this so that they are not adjusting their grip based on what the scope is telling them. The scope will be re-set after the gun is fitted.

I call this method "The rule of thumb". I want there to be a minimum distance of 1" between their nose and the knuckle of the thumb. This distance will grow slightly based on what clothing they choose to wear.

While the gun is mounted, I will reach in behind the pad and feel where the toe and heel are sitting in relationship to the pocket of their shoulder, and much like a tailor, make the necessary adjustments to the pitch based on this "by feel" measurement. I've never missed yet.

The gun has to fit the shooter, period! I find a lot of customers mount the gun like they are afraid of it. Placing their face well back from the scope. A lot of times, merely having them climb back upon the gun like they are suppose to makes all the difference.

Good luck!

Excellent advice! My first time getting a rifle fitting was a night & day differance with the recoil. I went from a muzzle jump happy rifle to bench rest shooting it.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I converted a VZ24 to 300Win Mag and put a laminated wood stock on it. It is an 8.5 pound rifle and I shoot 180 gr at 3000 fps.

With the limbsaver pad, there is never any recoil pain at the range. I can feel the recoil, but there is never any shock or pain. I could shoot 100 rounds if I wanted to.

If I have a dozen different types of recoil pads on guns, the Limbsavers are easily the best at reducing recoil. Decelerator pads are good, but not as good as Limbsavers.

The only problem is that once I was sitting on a stump and the Limbsaver got a small tear from resting and squirming on the stump.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote