Find
Notify
Tools

M70 bolt disassembly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I would like to polish-up the safety mechanism on my new M70, since it is very stiff and noisy to operate. I would appreciate if any of you can help me with dis-assembling the bolt, since I'm not sure of the proceedure to take apart the bolt head, safety lever etc... The polishing is the easy part! I would appreciate any advise. Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt disassembly of the Winchester is easy. Close the bolt on an empty chamber. Move the safety to the middle of the three positions and open and remove the bolt. Press the cocking piece locking button and unscrew the firing pin/cocking piece assembly. After removal, flip the safety "off" and the firing pin will release (the firing pin will drop a little, not fly off the bolt or anything like that). Secure the retaining ring in a vise and remove it and gently allow the firing pin spring to rest. Remove the firing pin retaining screw in the bolt head, and withdrawl the firing pin from the rear of the bolt shroud. There is a pin holding the safety lever and it's spring plunger in place. It's tiny and hard to remove, so this part is up to you. Once removed you can polish the parts to your hearts content.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
First of all, thanks for your help! OK, I have pushed the safety lever to "fire" and it did "click" down. I'm now not sure what you mean by the retaining ring, or the location of the firing pin retaining screw. Sorry, could you help me out? Also, how much polishing should I do?
Thanks Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar,

Polishing the detents does not help that much but if it's done right it will do no harm. What I do is to replace that little spring with a lighter one. Of course one must have a supply of springs! At this point the safety will not stay on the full safe position all that well as there is no detent there. It relies on just friction. What I do is to make a small dentent there for the full safe position with a prick punch.

Taking the firing pin spring off or getting it back on is not a walk in the park. Wear safety glasses and make sure that you can find the stuff when it goes flying on you.

In general I don't think that going this far is for everybody.

Drawings

www.forchheimerzgebirge.de/blueprints/Sites/navi_links_rifle.htm

There is a pretty good write up in Rules "The Riflemans Rifle"

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the front of the firing pin you'll see two small washers, one of which is "U" shaped. You'll need to hold one of these in a vise and press the assembly inward to relieve pressure on the retainer ring and remove it. Let pressure off gently. If you now look at the bolt shroud, you'll see a small slotted head screw, remove it and the firing pin will withdrawl from the rear out the back of the shroud. In the bolt shroud is a small pin that hold the safety and it's spring detent in place, drive out this pin and polish as needed. Once disassembled you'll see how to reinstall all the parts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And the correct answer is.......... Take it to a competent gunsmith. Thats right, take it to someone who knows what in the world they are doing.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help, but, with my limited experience I think I will follow Chuck's advise and go to a pro.....before I really fuck things up!!! Wolf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez, I never would've thought of that! If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.