New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assorted scrap Remiongton rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got my Remington 40-XB wood stock days ago, the stock is thick and heavy like I expected, however it's not a repeater stock, so the notion of building a single shot rifle comes to mind.

I can get a Remington 722 rifle for a very decent price, I wonder if the action will fit? The trigger guard will most likely be a steel Remington 700 ADL from Brownells, then a single-shot feeding tray to fit in the void of the receiver cut-out.

Then I'll get a .308 Win barrel from one of our Canadian barrel makers. Estimated cost for building this rifle is 900CDN$

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan. I'm sure the 722 will fit the stock. I had a 722/244 at one time used to swap it into my short 700 BDL 243 stock just for kicks.Putting a rifle together from parts can be both fun and rewarding. I was at the range today and shot,among others,a rifle that I've swapped so many parts on it's not the same gun I bought new 11 years ago.What started out as a blued walnut 700 BDL 300 Win Mag,now has a nickel plated action,a silver floorplate,a new takeoff stainless barrel,the stainless trigger from my VSSF(which now has a Shilen trigger),an aftermarket HS Sporter stock,a new set of Dual Dovetails and the 3-9X Leo off of my 700/7 Mag.Shoots very well and that HS stock sure tames the recoil better than the walnut BDL stock did.Are you planning on putting this rifle together yourself? Who's barrel are you going to use?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 722 has a different type spring on the bolt stop and the safety lever is a bit different. If you use a 700 trigger safety lever you will have to mill or file a bit of material from the side of the receiver. A bottom safety Jewell might be a better option.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies,

I'll do the wood filing/milling myself. Would like to do the barrel from a barrel blank on my lathe for kicks but the damn thing only goes as slow as 160 rpm. Might as well ask the barrel maker to do it.

Barrel...will see if Bevan King in BC(home province)will do it, but they say he retired or somthing. If can't get King's then Ted Gaillard's. Cost estimation is done with Ted's barrel in mind which is 300$CDN.

[Big Grin] rembo, when reading about the many transformations on your blued Rem700 which is now all white and shiny, the name of Michael Jackson [Roll Eyes] comes to mind, might as well use it as a nickname for the pet rifle, if you don't mind the infamy [Razz]

Cheers
Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very funny Pyrotek..but I wouldn't name a dog after that moron!I was thinking of calling it the "internet message board special",or the "700 IMBS".I got the barrel,stock and scope from guys on these forums.I am thinking of getting a barrel from Ted Gaillard for a Sendero that I am going to put together.Another option I have entertained is a "gain twist" from Ron Smith.What's the deal with your lathe only going down to 160 RPM,that's too slow to thread a barrel anyways,or are you worried about chambering at that speed?Can you change pulleys or gears to slow it down?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotek:
I got my Remington 40-XB wood stock days ago, the stock is thick and heavy like I expected, however it's not a repeater stock, so the notion of building a single shot rifle comes to mind.

I can get a Remington 722 rifle for a very decent price, I wonder if the action will fit? The trigger guard will most likely be a steel Remington 700 ADL from Brownells, then a single-shot feeding tray to fit in the void of the receiver cut-out.

Then I'll get a .308 Win barrel from one of our Canadian barrel makers. Estimated cost for building this rifle is 900CDN$

Pyrotek

I have a model 700 in an old 40X stock I pulled from a pile of crap at a rifle shop; it was made when decent walnut was easier to come by, and I'm glad to have it. I made a trigger guard for it and pillar bedded it, and it's quite fine. It is a single shot stock, and I also made a plate to go under the receiver where the magazine used to go. The BDL stock it replaced does not travel well.

Tom

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote